Betta not moving after filter change

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Capnyeehaw

Reaction score
Hello,
So my betta has stopped moving after I put in a new filter cartridge, and he isnā€™t moving which is not normal. He was fine this morning until I put the new filter thing in, but now he just lays at the surface...

Hello,
So my betta has stopped moving after I put in a new filter cartridge, and he isnā€™t moving which is not normal. He was fine this morning until I put the new filter thing in, but now he just lays at the surface...
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

Iā€™m sorry to hear of your difficulties. Is there any chance you could post your parameters? This could be a contribution to what youā€™re seeing.

Filter media shouldnā€™t be replaced often, foam filters are supposed to last up to 6 months. All the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter media.

Removing it can sometimes result in the cycle starting again. Once parameters are ruled out, I think we can figure out the problem.

Best of luck!

So it looks like he canā€™t physically stay down in the water. I just watched him try to swim down and he floated right back up. The only thing I could find wrong with his water is that the pH was a little high

Is there anyway to adjust the flow on your filter? I've been told that betta's don't deal well with a strong current so by replacing your filters not only have you upset the water balance but the current may be much stronger now with those nice clean replacements. My filter has 3 parts to it - carbon, foam and biofilter and you'd advised never to change more than one component at a time - but if yours only has one component I don't know what you could do to preserve the biofilter organisms other than cut it in half and change half at a time.

My filter also has a little lever that allows me to slow down the speed of filtration for - say - feeding time or as in your case if you have a fish that hates current. If yours doesn't do that you may have to do some research on Amazon or somewhere about what the best filters are for the beta's OR get the beta a much bigger tank so that the current is not noticeable. If you've only got him in a 1-2 gallon tank I don't know if they make a filter that's not going to upset him.

So it looks like he canā€™t physically stay down in the water. I just watched him try to swim down and he floated right back up. The only thing I could find wrong with his water is that the pH was a little high
Is there any chance of a short 20 second video of the fish?

@Jan Cavalieri is correct to say that Bettaā€™s donā€™t appreciate strong currents.

Itā€™s only 3 seconds but you can see him try to swim down

It looks like he has swim bladder disease. Donā€™t feed him for several days. He can do just fine without food that long. Then, offer him a boiled pea that has been peeled. Good luck! Oh, never change a filter pad or media unless it is falling apart. You threw away your beneficial bacteria so watch your water parameters closely. Hopefully, you didnā€™t clean your gravel and it still has some beneficial bacteria in it. Give it time to multiply and catch back up. If nitrates get too high then do a large water change.

Last edited:
How do you peel a boiled pea? - the insides are just barely able to hang together, and not very good especially if the pea is overcooked.

How do you peel a boiled pea? - the insides are just barely able to hang together, and not very good especially if the pea is overcooked.

get a lightly booked pea. Squeeze one side. Pea pops out of skin in 2 halves.

Actually itā€™s a blanched pea but I have too many people ask me what that is. Boil water, turn off, and drop fry zen pea in for about a minute or less. You can ant the pea soft but not mushy. Actually, mushy is ok. Lol. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back