Betta lost tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

AiresCosta

Reaction score
Came home from work today and my Beta grim had completely shredded his tail with pieces falling off.
He's in a 20l (SORRY I MENT 20 GALLON) with 3 kuhli and a baby bristle nosed pleco.
There's nothing sharp and as of 2 days ago the tank perametres are perfect. (No ammonia or nitrite a bit of nitrate)
Last night he was perfectly fine. Even sent pic of him to my friend who has kept Betas for years.
Nothing sharp in the tank. Everything that's sharp has been taken out and the wood has been sanded down
He's just sitting at the top of the tank now. Resting on the pothos leaves I have in there

Attachments

• 20220222_153910.jpg
    20220222_153910.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220222_150457.jpg
    20220222_150457.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220222_150500.jpg
    20220222_150500.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220222_150513.jpg
    20220222_150513.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Bettas, especially males, should not be kept with other fish. Iā€™m not an expert on loaches, but from what Iā€™ve read on here they can be aggressive, especially if the betta and the loach got into a fight.
@Colin_T @Essjay @Slaphppy7 @Byron @AdoraBelle Dearheart
Kuhli loaches are non agressive bottom dwelling fish. They are pretty much terrified of everything and stay under a rock all day

Bettas, especially males, should not be kept with other fish. Iā€™m not an expert on loaches, but from what Iā€™ve read on here they can be aggressive, especially if the betta and the loach got into a fight.
@Colin_T @Essjay @Slaphppy7 @Byron @AdoraBelle Dearheart
Kuhli loaches are super peaceful... They wouldn't have caused that... It could be fin rot but the fish seems to be doing "fine" otherwise... (Notice I put fine in quotation marks)... If there is legitimately no sharp anything in the tank I have no 100% explanation for what that could be from...

Kuhli loaches are super peaceful... They wouldn't have caused that... It could be fin rot but the fish seems to be doing "fine" otherwise... (Notice I put fine in quotation marks)... If there is legitimately no sharp anything in the tank I have no 100% explanation for what that could be from...
He was perfectly great yesterday, I think I have videos of him in his hide looking completely normal. My friend said the same thing. She has no idea what this could be. She helped set my tank up and has been looking after beta fish for years. At one point had about 10 at once with a huge 10 tank setup, so I trust her when she said my tank way okay. This has happened within 8 hours. And he has no other symptoms of fin rot

He was perfectly great yesterday, I think I have videos of him in his hide looking completely normal. My friend said the same thing. She has no idea what this could be. She helped set my tank up and has been looking after beta fish for years. At one point had about 10 at once with a huge 10 tank setup, so I trust her when she said my tank way okay. This has happened within 8 hours. And he has no other symptoms of fin rot
Hmm, this is definitely a mystery... This may seem strange but do you habe any shrimp? Sometimes shrimp like ghost shrimp can be fairly aggressive... And sometimes you cant see them and they hitch hike on things... Have you added anything to the tank in the past week?

Hmm, this is definitely a mystery... This may seem strange but do you habe any shrimp? Sometimes shrimp like ghost shrimp can be fairly aggressive... And sometimes you cant see them and they hitch hike on things... Have you added anything to the tank in the past week?
Just my Beta. Got him last Wednesday, no shrimp. Havnt seen any at all. Just double checked my ammonia just in case and it's still at 0ppm

Just my Beta. Got him last Wednesday, no shrimp. Havnt seen any at all. Just double checked my ammonia just in case and it's still at 0ppm
How long has the tank itself been set up? How was it cycled?

Been

Been set up since Early December. Cycled fishless for 3 weeks with food added to water
What were the ammonia and nitrite readings during the cycle? Were you keeping track? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to get all the little details so me or maybe if I can't help somebody else can with this information

What were the ammonia and nitrite readings during the cycle? Were you keeping track? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to get all the little details so me or maybe if I can't help somebody else can with this information
I think the ammonia and nitrite spiked then went down? I can't fully remember sorry :(

I think the ammonia and nitrite spiked then went down? I can't fully remember sorry :(
That's ok, I wasn't expecting you to fully remember everything... I really do think its strange that you wake up and he is like this... Can you list everything you use in the tank? Such as the filter and the decor and if you use gravel or sand...

pics of all the deco in the tank...
also is that marble queen pothos??? it will die if kept underwater, and those are PRICY!!!!

pics of all the deco in the tank...
also is that marble queen pothos??? it will die if kept underwater, and those are PRICY!!!!
Yeah it's usually above the water. I FREAKED when I saw grim was sick and put it in the water for him to lay on. My mother has a huge marble pothos and all the cuttings in my tank are from it, so I'm not fussed because I'm allowed to cut from hers whenever I want. I'll add pics after I get done making dinner

That's ok, I wasn't expecting you to fully remember everything... I really do think its strange that you wake up and he is like this... Can you list everything you use in the tank? Such as the filter and the decor and if you use gravel or sand...
Sand. Filter is a filter that came with the tank it's an overflow filter. Decore is just some flat stones. A fake hollow log. A skull and a smaller skull.
He likes to go inside the smaller skull and sleep yesterday I might have seen him struggle a bit to get out but I didn't notice because I thought he just didn't want to get out and got pissed when I moved it. I'll send pics soon

Most reactions

Back