Betta lost a fin??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AfternoonNarwhale

Reaction score
A few days ago my poor betta got himself wedged inside of a log with only one entrance, which is no bigger than a dime. Thankfully my family was able to help me get him out and cut open the log.. He's missing scales on his head and under his mouth, and one of his-i don't know what there called, those little tiny fins by his head they swim with-was gone. Poor Iggy seems to swim fine, but I'm still worried about him.. Is there anything I should do??

Oh no! Add aquarium sait to the tank and do extra water changes to help him heal. That fin is quite critical for bettas swimming, so if he struggles, lower the water level to make it easier for him to get to the surface.
I trust the offending log is in the bin?!

Oh no! Add aquarium sait to the tank and do extra water changes to help him heal. That fin is quite critical for bettas swimming, so if he struggles, lower the water level to make it easier for him to get to the surface.
I trust the offending log is in the bin?!
The offending log is most definitely in the trash. He doesn't seem to be struggling swimming at all, but I'll keep an eye on him and see about adding salt? I'm not sure the salt would help him though, it seems as though he rubbed the scales off but he's my first fish so I wouldn't know for sure:/ Thanks for the advice!

UPDATE; Never mind, his fin is fine, I swore it is was gone, but it seems fine now. *face palm*
He still has a lot of scales missing though:(

Aquarium salt is used as a temporary treatment for injuries because it has anti-bacterial properties.
You would add it as instructed on the packet. Water changes should include the same ratio of salt to water. When the fish has recovered, or after a couple of weeks, slowly reduce the salt in the tank by daily 10% water changes without salt for seven days. Then return to bigger water changes as normal.

Great news about the fin!
Keep a close eye on the injuries, if they develop redness or white fungus post a picture here.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back