Betta Fish Is Sick! Please Help 911

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Forgot to mention the main reason why I want to use jungle fungus eliminator..he has a MAJOR case of fin rot..they are raggedy, ripped, and now i can see places where it is just dissappearing..but i also want to use it for the white fungussy fuzzy stuff all over his face/gills, chin,etc--would this be ok? Any suggestions..He is improving but definately is still sick...

Here are updated pics from this morning.
Body specs and shredded tail:
bettanewest1-bodyspecs.jpg

FUll body with good view of belly--seem swollen? :
bettanewest3-bodybelly.jpg

how long has it been since his last round of meds. if you are able and he isnt going drastically downhill id wait a full 2 weeks between doses of the velvet meds and the fungus eliminator. certainly wont hurt to dose for finrot/fungus if hes having a hard time clearing it himself (ie immune system being low).
when you say silvery grains on his body what do you mean by that? are they between the actual scales themselves (if yes id be tempted to say once again normal color-a truly solid red betta is very rare. often they have blue/pink/purple/silverish spots between the red scales. if they are raised and look like grains of sand stuck to the fish might be ich, but the velvet treatment should have taken care of that.
he does not look bloated at ALL in the photos. in excellent body condition actually (fins dont look too bad either). yes, his swimbladder may be permanently damaged (it does happen) but so long as he can swim ok, got to the top for air and eat his food he should be fine-although look a bit pathetic. it will not outrightly kill him. he will just be a little "special". it is also quite normal for them to constantly hang out in the same spot. if he were hiding and not occasionally swimming around (even if he goes back to that same spot) then id be watchful for signs of illness. they are lazy as they get old.
cheers

how long has it been since his last round of meds. if you are able and he isnt going drastically downhill id wait a full 2 weeks between doses of the velvet meds and the fungus eliminator. certainly wont hurt to dose for finrot/fungus if hes having a hard time clearing it himself (ie immune system being low).
when you say silvery grains on his body what do you mean by that? are they between the actual scales themselves (if yes id be tempted to say once again normal color-a truly solid red betta is very rare. often they have blue/pink/purple/silverish spots between the red scales. if they are raised and look like grains of sand stuck to the fish might be ich, but the velvet treatment should have taken care of that.
he does not look bloated at ALL in the photos. in excellent body condition actually (fins dont look too bad either). yes, his swimbladder may be permanently damaged (it does happen) but so long as he can swim ok, got to the top for air and eat his food he should be fine-although look a bit pathetic. it will not outrightly kill him. he will just be a little "special". it is also quite normal for them to constantly hang out in the same spot. if he were hiding and not occasionally swimming around (even if he goes back to that same spot) then id be watchful for signs of illness. they are lazy as they get old.
cheers

It has been 3 weeks since his last dose of maracide. He is in good spirits, he actually greeted me at the surface and took his food from the stick I feed him with. (Usually I shake it and it falls and he catches it but he was eager lastnight even though it was his weekly pea)

To me, his fins look TERRIBLE considering they have never been shredded like that, they used to spread out but they dont do that anymore either, it looks like sticks hanging off of him bc they are so stiff looking. His fins arent improving much and I want to see how he does with JFE but am ordering it today and will start it when i get it.

By Silvery grains on his body, I mean these just recently popped up after his treatment of velvet..which is why I thought maybe its just a secondary bacterial or fungal infection. And they are tiny little specs (like the size of glitter dust) on and around his tail/hind area. You can see the specs in the pictures that I recently posted. But then again, I am scared that it may be ich even tho I thought maracide covered ich too. Heres the pic again but I circled the specs I am concerned of:
bettanewest1-bodyspecs22.jpg

I am glad that you dont see any bloat and I am afraid that he just has permanent SB damage but he seems to get better everyday--he still tilts horizontally every once and a while though.

Thanks for all the feedback, I hope for more as I want to get this all resolved!

I am waiting for the JFE to arrive but he seems to be soo much better already..it looks like his fins may be healing but still very slowly. He also still has a slight spot where the dot under his eye was. He also has a new open type wound on his side..just came up about a few days ago and I also noticed another raised cottony spot on his other side. they are both small so I am hoping the jfe helps..if not, I will trea for ich with rid ich. here are some new pictures:

bettafish6bestone.jpg

bettafish5.jpg

bettafish4.jpg

bettafish3.jpg

bettafish2.jpg

bettafish.jpg

Im so sad to say that my betta passed away yesterday. He was doing so great after all the treatments and everything but alot has happened in my life this past month. On Thursday, his tank was really low on water so I prepared new water for him and added a 1/2 tsp of JFE to the new water and mixed it all around. I then added the new water with JFE to his tank. I fed him before I did this. I forgot to feed him on Sunday and he seemed ok, just a lil down and now that I think of it, he was breathing pretty hard but was still swimming to the top for air,etc..Sadly, that was the last time I had interacted with him and when I came home yesterday after work, I found him lifeless. I really hope to God that the medicine didnt hurt him. He has had it before and did fine! I didnt even put the full amount in there, I just wanted to give him a boost to help with his fin rot. His fins never did heal completely and I was worried he was getting an infection which is why I added JFE. Im so depressed! This lil guy has had a rough life and I only wanted to make it better! Ive had him since July09 but before that, he lived with my sister for a year or longer but before that he lived with her ex boyfriend for unknown amount of time.

He was given to me in a tiny bowl that ended up leaking water before I could get him a new bigger tank. When I found him, he was lying on the bottom horizontally with barely any water left in his bowl. I put him in a brand new tank with fresh water but he had already caught infections/SBD,etc. From that moment on, I was dedicated to make his life better. I put so much time in researching, correcting his water parameters,etc,etc since I had not one cllue about raising a betta fish. I learned so much and I know he was old but I feel like it was my responsibility to keep him from harm. He was a very happy betta up until a few days ago--he eats bloodworms ONLY (since that is all he will eat) Mon, Wed, & Fri. On sundays, he used to get a peeled pea. His gills have always looked very weird to me and I have always had a suspision of some kind of gill disease. The reds seaped out of his gills when he would breath in and out. But I just feel bad for not feeding him while he was being medicated because I know that it helps to keep their immune system up.. :( Im so sad, I bawled my eyes out!!

Sorry for your loss :sad: He lived a long time though and you should be proud of all the effort you put in to make him happy while he was with you.

Sorry for your loss :sad: He lived a long time though and you should be proud of all the effort you put in to make him happy while he was with you.

Thank you for your kind words. Now, I just dont know what to do with his body...Its so hard for me to just flush him down the toilet :(

stick him in the freezer until the weather warms up and bury him..then plant a flower over his grave (sounds morbid but you shouldnt flush him. better to throw him out in the trash if you dont intend on burying him. Flushing may introduce disease into local watersheds. never good to flush a fish-alive or otherwise)
Im sorry for your loss. You did what you could.
all the best
Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back