FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Hey guys! Brand new to the page, my betta fish got a new heater and its been at a steady 84 degrees Fahrenheit and that's a little warm for my comfort so my questions are 1. do you think this heat is okay? 2. If not, is it okay for me to turn it off for a couple of hours and then turn it back on?

It’s a little too warm for the betta. They do better between 79 and 81F. Does it have a thermostat you can lower on it? Otherwise it may be too large for your betta.

It’s a little too warm for the betta. They do better between 79 and 81F. Does it have a thermostat you can lower on it? Otherwise it may be too large for your betta.

It does not, it's an automatic one, I have two (one in both my tanks) both are 10w same size tank and I don't have money for a new one so I´m at a loss on what to do or what to try

Turning it off and then on again may cause too big of a temperature swing. Fish don't respond well when temperature fluctuates too much.

Can you return it as it is probably defective...most of those types are preset to heat to around 78 degrees. Perhaps buy a short 50 watt heater that has a dial to set the temperature.

How large is your tank?

can you return it as it is probably defective...most of those types are preset to heat to around 78 degrees. Perhaps buy a 50 watt heater that has a dial to set the temperature.
I'm not sure because I don't have the packaging but I can call and ask, I only have a tank thats a little over 2 gallons and they only had two options for 10 watts, and none for 5 watts

read the specifications for the type of heater you have. I believe the real cheap ones dont have temperature regulator...slightly more expensive ones will tell you in the specs if it will keep temperature consistently around 78 degrees.

Can you post the model heater that you have. Does your other heater keep consistent temps? Possibly the heater is defective. What was the price of the heater? Also , what type of thermometer are you using?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How warm is room and what is the current weather there?
If the house is warm or it is summer and the air temperature is warm, you might be able to turn the heater off and leave it off until the weather cools down.

Alternatively, take the heater back and swap it for another one. It could be dodgy.

I dont really know the tempature of the room I would say 70 tops so to cold without a heater. I have an aqueon mini 10 watt heater, the other one is great has kept my tank at a steady 81, the only problem with returning it is i completely tore apart the package to get it out so i dont think they will take it back. The fish is doing great though, very happy and a LARGE bubble nest so I'm torn on what to do

It may be covered by a manufacturer warranty. Look up the customer service number of the manufacturer and call them. They may send you another one at no charge.

I wouldn't waste house heat by opening a window. Just leave it be.. fish will be fine until the manufacturer sends you a new one.

large fluctuations in tank temperature would not be good for the fish.

I just read the reviews on amazon for that heater and they are not good. That heater has no automatic temperature control. You really would be better off getting one that will keep the temperature at 78-80 degrees.

Maybe bring it to the store and tell them what is happening. Maybe they will let you upgrade to a better heater that has a thermostat for a more constant temperature..

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A heater like this would be more dependable.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tetra+50+watt&ref=is_s&tag=ff0d01-20

I have this in my 5 gallon betta tank. It keeps the temperature at a constant 78 degrees.

what type of themometer are you using?
Okay Thank you! I have a topfin betta heater that works wonders ( I have 4 bettas, three have heaters in separate tanks and one is in a community tank) so I´ll probably just get another one of those. Do you think a 50 watt would be too big for a 2.5 gal?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back