Betta Fish Has Dropsy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Swagger2

Reaction score
Ok 3rd time writing this out,,,, what the heck....
2 years ago we found a Betta Fish in a laundry room, he was not in good condition yet we got him a tank and everything that was asked of us by a fish expert. He recovered, and has been an AWESOME pet since then. Both me and my sister are attached to the little guy, he has a lot of heart and is funny as heck. Well starting 3-4 days ago he completely stopped playing with us. He now stays in a corner, and when he does come out to say hello he quickly returns to the corner to get support from plants. There is a grass plant which completely holds him up yet when he is using it for support he is constantly flapping his fins which to me points out how he is not comfortable, as if maybe he feels off balance. Also he will turn his head away from us when we look at him almost like he is pushing us away but I can tell he is not feeling well and does not want us to watch him suffer. I looked up Dropsy and am pretty much 100% sure that he has it. His skin is literally popping out! IT is so sad to watch, he looks like a pinecone, right up and down the body and I can tell from the look in his eyes that he IS feeling it and is worried. I tried feeding him a pea and he lost his balance a few times while trying to get at the pea bits so I then had to place the pea bits right near his head and allow them to sink to the top of a plant so that he could snatch the bits. I have been changing his water a lot and it is doing nothing, normally he would love to play in the bubbles and get in the way when I would change his water, now I have to gentally pour the water in.
I heard this disease is a death sentence, and just by the quick period in which he went from being healthy to unhealthy is shocking. Alright so what can we expect from this disease as time goes by, I mean I am told it can last from 5 days all the way up to 15 days, which if it is doing this much harm to him this fast, I cant picture how the poor guy would be in 15 days.... do I try to put him out of his suffering at some pointÉ What the hell happened to my little guyÉÉÉÉÉÉ Here are some points I have noticed:
-He can still eat some food if you put it right near him so doesnt that mean he has a shot...
-I saw him having a bowel movement just 2 nights ago, doesnt that mean his body is still functioning well
-He is becoming pretty bloated, like it is heartbreaking to watch, he sees us and wants to come over but it is like he is stuck and lacks the energy to come over
- He is lowering his guard, like every single time I gave him a certain look he would poof his head out and try to look all big and tough in front of me but now he just looks at me with those poor eyes, also he does not check his tank daily like he used to.
- Just by the way his skin is popping out like that, I can see that his chances of surviving are low, I mean his skin is PUSHED RIGHT UP like it is sickening and also must be soooo painful I cant help but think.... please tell me that Fish have a way of fighting off pain.... What the heck can we doÉÉÉÉ I do not have another tank to put him in or anything, and Im hearing he is a dead fish swimming and that only 1% can make it but that is only before the disease causes his skin to pop up but I mean it is completely up and is scary to watch , HELP

Hi there,

I'm very sorry to hear about the poor little guy... it sounds like you really love him. Without beating around the bush, Dropsy is a killer, and unless it's caught early enough there is very little you can do to help. From what you describe him as i.e. 'a Pinecone' I suspect that the dropsy is quite developed. There are medications which you could try dosing, which will be for sale at your LFS, however from my personal experience they haven't worked unless dosed at the very first stages of Dropsy. I lost a wee guy 5 days ago due to dropsy, I caught it too late though and the medicine did nothing. The only thing you can do is try and keep him as comfortable and happy as is possible. If it comes to it, and you can't bear to watch him suffer anymore, there is the option of Euthanasia. This is obviously a very hard thing to do, but if he is only going to suffer and then die, I suppose it could be justifiable. If you wanted to go down that route take a look at clove oil. (Personally I wouldn't have the heart to do that though).

Swelling can indicate bloating, however as you said he has had a bowel movement and he is still bloating; even after consuming a pea.

Sorry about him again

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back