Betta fish fin’s look a bit tattered

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tay10r_nich01e

Reaction score
Hi! I just got a Betta fish about a month ago and have a 2-gallon tank with a filter and heater. I don’t know if I’m imagining it, but I feel like my Betta’s fins are a bit tattered. I thought it might be the plastic plants nipping them, so I just took them out and maybe that will help. Based on the photos, does any have any suggestions for what it is, or if they look normal?

Attachments

• 75F7CEA2-71C2-4468-8E74-3462DA297617.jpeg
    75F7CEA2-71C2-4468-8E74-3462DA297617.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 115
  • D2AC2959-8820-4418-BF38-27C8F08BEB63.jpeg
    D2AC2959-8820-4418-BF38-27C8F08BEB63.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 99
That looks a bit tattered to me. How often do you do water changes? You may want to do daily ones for a couple of weeks. A betta needs a minimum of 2.5 gallons to live in but really should have at least a 5G tank. Do you check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

That looks a bit tattered to me. How often do you do water changes? You may want to do daily ones for a couple of weeks. A betta needs a minimum of 2.5 gallons to live in but really should have at least a 5G tank. Do you check for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

I change the water about every 2 weeks. I can’t really get a bigger tank because I am in college and live in a dorm. I haven’t checked the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, but I can. I think it may be possible that the hard plastic grass I had in the tank was tearing his fins. I just want to make sure it’s not fin rot.

In a tank that small you should be doing 70% water changes once a week. I would do 70% water changes daily for the next 2 weeks and see if it improves. Clean water is the best cure for fin rot. Best wishes for you and your fin friend.

If the water changes don't help, you can buy some aquarium salt and follow the directions on the back to see how much you should put into his tank. I used salt when my betta had finrot and he healed really quickly. Just make sure to dissolve the salt in a little bit of tank water before putting it into the tank because it might burn his gills. Good luck!

I often use salt along with the changes. Add 1 tablespoon for 5 gallons. So for yours it would be about 1/3 tsp. You will have to replace what you take out each day. If you do 50% w/c then add 1/4 tbls. back in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back