Betta Fin Rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pebbles28

Reaction score
My betta had fin rot a couple weeks ago and I started treating him with aquarium salt and it worked amazingly. He had fin regrowth and was looking really good. I finished the treatment and now he's starting to lose parts of his fins anymore. He doesn't have the same brown/black around the outside of the fins that are falling off though. And I took all the plastic plants or anything he could tear his fins on out. It's not super bad at the moment but would like to find a treatment to fix it. I'm in the middle of cycling my tank, so the ammonia levels are between .25 and .5. I do daily water changes, trying to get it down. I am able to keep it below .5 but can't get it to 0. The nitrites are at 0. PH is usually between 6.6 and 7.0. and nitrates are at 0 as well. What can I do at this point?
Polish_20200401_142348788.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! You have a beautiful betta. May I ask what size tank he is in?
To get the ammonia levels down do a 75% water change every day until it goes down and stays down, then you can do 50% every week. Another thing that causes ammonia is uneaten food. How much do you feed and how often? Feed once a day as much as the fish will eat in less than a minute :) the package will say 2 minutes twice a day but I have found this to be better for healthy fish.

Welcome to the forum! You have a beautiful betta. May I ask what size tank he is in?
To get the ammonia levels down do a 75% water change every day until it goes down and stays down, then you can do 50% every week. Another thing that causes ammonia is uneaten food. How much do you feed and how often? Feed once a day as much as the fish will eat in less than a minute :) the package will say 2 minutes twice a day but I have found this to be better for healthy fish.
Thank you. His tank is 5.5 gallons. I usually do a 50% water change every other day and 75% the other days. I feed him once a day around 2pm. He eats everything I give him. He doesn't allow any to sink to the bottom so I don't think that's the issue. I also vacuum the poop pretty often, usually with the water changes. The PH I meant to say is usually between 6.6 and 7. Not sure why I said 6.8. Like I said, I'm still trying to cycle his tank and that's why the nitrates are still at 0 as well.

Did you not cycle it before adding the fish?
Your water change schedule sounds good to help get that number down :)

Did you not cycle it before adding the fish?
Your water change schedule sounds good to help get that number down :)
I did not do a fishless cycle. Mainly because I have had multiple fish tanks in the past and never had an issue cycling the tank with fish until this one. This one I'm having trouble with for some reason.

Most reactions

trending

Back