Betta + Community?

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
657
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Well yeah, just wondering if anyone had any sucesses with male bettas and community tanks? If so, could you tell me how? Or is it just fine dropping a betta in?


Just wondering, cause they're so beautiful, yet they can't be together peacefully. ):
 
only really with corys, shrimps ADF's and WCMM's there the best.

BY ALL MEANS AVOID!
livebearers
tetras
danios
other bettas
other labriynth fish
cichlids.

and make sure the flow is not too strong
 
There goes my hopes.

Well tahts one question.

I got another question :

What jobs are there that relate to fish? :D (Not shop workers, and stuff.)

School homework assignment, your hobby + a job related to it. ):
 
I have my male betta in my community tank and have had no problems... he's quite happy living with balloon mollies, red tail shark, angel fish, assorted gouramis, AND a female betta, who is also quite happy! I know a lot of people will disagree with me but personally I think it depends on the individual betta. My last male betta died about 2 days after I added other fish to the tank.

As for the job.. I cant think of any!
 
i've gotmine with angels (albeit juvi), gold ram cichilds, kissing gourmi, pleco, rainbow fish and platy and mines fine dont think it really notices that theyre there as it keeps itself to itself.
 
I keep one male in my 120 community tank and have another in a tank with endlers. The only problem I have seen with bettas is if you keep them with something that will tear up their fins or with another betta.
 
Hi kevinthecow :)

What jobs are there that relate to fish? (Not shop workers, and stuff.)

School homework assignment, your hobby + a job related to it. ):


There's tank cleaning and maintenance. You could start out as part time work in peoples homes and turn it into a good business as you get older.
 
As you've already had lots of good advice, there's not much point my sticking my 2 cents in, but I will anyway, and then I'm broke...
As far as the individual betta temperament goes, if you have a delta/half moon strain, in my admittedly limited experience, you are far more likely to wind up with a betta better suited to life with other fish.
Crowntails tend to be crabby and plakats may prove not only more aggressive but, as faster swimmers unhindered by longer fins, more likely to catch up with any fish they may decide to chase.
I have a fish sold as a half moon who probably would be, going by the number of folds in his sweeping drapery, if I'd ever seen him flare.
He lives in a tank with pygmy cats, a male guppy/Endler cross, WCM, and a young female Bristlenose who I'd actually planned to move out some time ago into her destined home.
No problem.
I have another bought-as-half-moon who would have been if his top ray wasn't bent the wrong way, who lives with a guppy/Endler cross and who is intended to move into a tank with Harlequin Rasboras and eventually pygmy cats, once everybody's healthy.
I don't expect any problem, and would be very surprised if any arose.
Neither one can outswim the typical fish, and they know it, so don't bother trying, at least not for more than an inch or two, and not often.
I have two crowntails who, if they ever share a tank with anybody, will have carefully selected roomies, probably armoured, just in case.
Although the older one's mellowing and no longer flares, as he did initially, at Mum or his own reflection.
(This may have been a fear reaction, as he couldn't swim when I first got him, and was terrified of me and had to wriggle away on his tummy when I cleaned his Q tank every day.
So when he could swim and stand his ground, and got into his own 10 gallon tank, he flared, because he finally had the ability to fight or flee and therefore face down his terror.)
The trick is to move the betta in after the other fish have settled in, and to have a well-planted tank with room for avoidance and places for privacy.
This sets the psychological stage for sharing, because the other fish were there first, and are part of the scenery.
Although it's always a good idea to have a spare tank set up, if possible, just in case, and to keep a watch for signs of any potential problem developing.

If you're worried about a problem developing due to the behaviour of your individual fish, you're probably better off not trying it, as you'll know your particular fish's tendencies better than anyone else could.
And you can't undo an injury or maiming.
 
Jobs?

Aquarium Maintenance (residential or commercial)
Aquarium Design
Aquarium Sales
Fish breeder
 
Look at my 20 gallon in my sig..my betta is the centerpiece of that tank and does great
 
Well, the only thing I can find at the shops are CT bettas.

): Should I try to add it in? I can get at least a 2G tank if it doesn't work out..

If not a CT, what type would you want me to try?
 
I kept mine with:

Opaline Gourami
Platys
Daino
Tetra
Chinese Algae Eater
and with an Oscar for about 2 weeks

No problems at all
 
Well yeah, now my question is : should I go for it?

I mean, its hella overpriced, 9$ for a CT. (LPS)
(They're kept in 1-2G tanks, though.)

2$ - 1$ at Walmart.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top