Betta Autopsy.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

372xp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
No I didnt perform an autopsy on my recently deceased h/m. But I did do a load of investigating as to the cause.
Basicaly over 4 days he went from fine to lethargic to heavy breathing to dead. So automatically you think ammonia poisoning. The symptoms began the day before a weekly water change, I changed the filter becuse ti was playing up but kept the media, he was worse the next day so more water change and swapped back to the old filter body. I changed water every day till he died. The water stats came back good, as you would expect after a few wafer changes.
Any way I have racked my brain and the only thing I could think that was different was the slightly iffy filter. It has a spray bar and had started chugging. That is dribbling then building up to a big spurt then dribbling again. This was cleaned out and is now running as it should, thing is it is filling the tank with millions of tiny bubbles. I am thinking that these may have been a catalyst in his down fall. Would these cause any issue to the labrynth organ, making it harder to get oxygen through his gills. He didnt surface to breathe for long intervals.
What do you reckon? I cant think of anything else that would finnish off a healthy young fish so quickly. His tank mates (2 ottos and a red shrimp) remain unaffected.

If the water stats were fine I don't think that the filter, or the bubbles are to blame. It sounds more like he was sick. Maybe a parasite? What was the temperature in the tank? Was he constipated, bloated? Maybe he had organ damage from a previous ammonia poisoning. 
Anyhow, I'm sorry for your loss! :(

i dont think it would be bubbles in your tank as this can happen with spray bar filters, its like it in my tank and the fish are unaffected but the tetras like to test themselves to see who can stay in the current the longest, so i presume disease/illness or maybe if it was newly bought and still young then stress?

he was slightly bloated before he got sick so i fasted him till he was normal again. the tank was at 26c. so if it werent bubbles a parasite seems a reasnoble explanation. i dont know where he would have got that mind as i had him a while. its just a closure thing, if im not responsible what was? i will never know. i think next time i may just medicate sooner just to be sure.

Most reactions

trending

Back