Betta Acting Weird After Water Change

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Slider821

Reaction score
I've only had my betta for a few days now and he was loving life in his new 1gallon home. The water became somewhat murky because of the rocks but Orpheus didn't care so I posponed changing the water until today.

After a new water change and treatment he initially started acting crazy, swimming all around, running into the glass. Now he just sits at the bottom of the tank(pic 1) and every few minutes jets up to the top of the tank for air(pic 2) and then drifts back to the bottom.

1: Picture_002__Medium_.jpg

2: Picture_003__Small_.jpg

Someone please help little Orpheus survive. I don't know what to do.

Do you have a heater?
If not, is the tank water any different from the usual temp?
Did you add conditioner after changing the water?

Was the water a different temp then it was before you changed it? Did you reacclimate him if it was? Did you dechlorinate the water?

I scooped him up in his initial store-bought cup wiht the original water in his tank when he was happy. He was fine in there. I changed the bowl's water, treated it, and made sure it was approx the same temp, set him and the cup in the water for 5 minutes and then let him go. Once he hit the new water he started freaking out.

I began reading online wondering if the water was too cold. I read everything from room temp, to 65-70°, to 60-85°. I figured it was too cool, added some warmer water. It probably 73 right now more or less.

He just kind of sits and to bottom and flaps his little fins.

Firtly a bettas water should be AT LEAST 75 degrees 78-80 is preferred. Bettas will act lethargic and such if that water is too cold. If he began freaking out chances are there was a significant temp difference for him, even if it wasn't evident to you.

i would suggest that this is caused by any one of:

a. maybe you forgot to dechorinate the water
b. temperature change was too great for his liking
c. maybe you put too much salt or preventive medication (if you did)

if he doesnt perk up by tonight for example then maybe you need to do another water change ensuring the above

good luck :good:

i would suggest that this is caused by any one of:

a. maybe you forgot to dechorinate the water
b. temperature change was too great for his liking
c. maybe you put too much salt or preventive medication (if you did)

if he doesnt perk up by tonight for example then maybe you need to do another water change ensuring the above

good luck :good:

a. Did that
b. I assume this is the problem
c. I have no salt or medication in the tank

Concerning c., Should I put some salt in his tank? Table salt? I can't run to the petstore right now to get anything more fish specific if it's necessary.

no table salt, I believe it hurts fish, you don't NEED salt, but if you are using it, make sure you get aquarium salt

Sounds like it was probably the temp change. Just make sure when you slowly raise the temp up, that you're going to need to keep the temp at a stable preferably 80F.

I have had this happen to me...I usually do a total water change....when you have the water ready float him for 20 minutes or so before releasing him....I have even taken water out of another bettas tank...I hope he will be ok :good:

My betta has the same problem now....became lethargic after I did water change....(He was fine in the first time, maybe his immune system was strong enough to let him tolerate it)

Now I am so afraid to do anything to the water, everytime I did very little partial water change, he moveed swiftly in the tank.
Even when I add few drops of water conditioner (aim to clear ammonia in water), he seems scared to death.

I also saw him jump out of the water once.....

Feel so bad because I do not know how to chill him

I also stopped feeding him for many days.
I think its better to do nothing now..:(

As I posted yesterday, I nearly killed by entire 125 gal tank of fish because I was careless with the water temp when refilling. Fortunately, all but one fish recovered. I never realized how life threatening a small temp change can be. If he's still OK now, he may recover.

OMG...just saw that the original post is from 2007! Well, if he's still alive, then he has likely recovered. LOL

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back