Beta Help...

fishyfriend

Reaction score
:D Well, I am new to these forums, but I am not that new to fish I have had a 10 gallon with guppies, well, those lasted for about a year and my mom currently found an awesome 20 gallon with a stand for real cheap and she bought it, well, I cycled it for 2 days, and added my three fish, I had a swordtail left over from my 10, one of the only ones who made it threw everything. I added, 2 clean up fish as well, I just gave it a nickname as a sucker, and I forgot its real name, Shame huh? Well, I also have this catfish that was in the same tank. I bought these fish from walmart, but I should really say I rescued them because of there horrible keeping. The swordtail had been in horrible shape and I raised her to be a good fish, could I get a Betta with that sucker, and cat fish looking fish.

You could get a betta with those fish, but if you only cycled the new tank for 2 days, I doubt if it fully cycled. Did you use any of the water and articles from the 10 g tank or is the whole thing new? Before you add anything more, make sure the tank has cycled properly, otherwise you'll get ammonia and nitrite spikes that could kill your fish. Also, is the swordtail male or female. Betta's have a penchant for flowing fins and one might find the tail of a male swordfish rather tempting and attack him. There should be no problems if the swordtail is female.

gadazobe said:
You could get a betta with those fish, but if you only cycled the new tank for 2 days, I doubt if it fully cycled. Did you use any of the water and articles from the 10 g tank or is the whole thing new? Before you add anything more, make sure the tank has cycled properly, otherwise you'll get ammonia and nitrite spikes that could kill your fish. Also, is the swordtail male or female. Betta's have a penchant for flowing fins and one might find the tail of a male swordfish rather tempting and attack him. There should be no problems if the swordtail is female.
All of the water is from the 10 gallon and I finished the rest with tap, but I used something like aquasafe. I know I rushed into getting the fish, but, I can't resist that sometimes, but today the fish are fine and the swordtail is a female. The fish are all happy and healthy today and everything is going good. I would have cycled it for a week if it was new tap water, but I used something like aquasafe which lowers high ammonia levels, I had everything prepared, anyways. The Swordtail is doing great, and the catfish is looking better, WALMART SHOULD NOT SELL LIVE FISH. The guy didn't even know how to catch the fish he almost killed other fish to do so. I also have a 2 gallon fish tank, would it be okay for a betta or should I just put it in the 20?

Personally I hate to see such beautiful fish in tiny tanks - but there's no reason you can't keep one in the 2g. Good luck whatever you decide to do and keep us posted. :nod: :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back