Best website for accurate information on everything fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Seriouslyfish is a great resource for detailed information.

However I find that if you are just "browsing" to get very rough ideas for stocking its a little clunky.

I have been looking for some fish that are outside of what I would normally keep. Not had anything specific in mind so starting off with "what looks nice" and then eliminating from there based on compatibility. I found the www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk is fairly good for the first step of "just looking through photos".

Then if something looked nice I looked it up on Seriously fish. No idea how good their info is on this site as I literally just looked at pictures and names, it looks fairly accurate (at least for what i looked at) but is brief and doesn't give all the details you need.

Experience means nothing really. Because at the end of the day people find the answers, they want to hear off one of the dozens of websites on the nett. So just go hunting if you know the answer you want you will find it.

Seriouslyfish is a great resource for detailed information.

However I find that if you are just "browsing" to get very rough ideas for stocking its a little clunky.

I have been looking for some fish that are outside of what I would normally keep. Not had anything specific in mind so starting off with "what looks nice" and then eliminating from there based on compatibility. I found the www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk is fairly good for the first step of "just looking through photos".

Then if something looked nice I looked it up on Seriously fish. No idea how good their info is on this site as I literally just looked at pictures and names, it looks fairly accurate (at least for what i looked at) but is brief and doesn't give all the details you need.
Hadnā€™t seen that site before, just had a quick browse and I agree that itā€™s easier to navigate than seriouslyfish (especially on mobile). Would be good for getting some ideas from!

Experience means nothing really. Because at the end of the day people find the answers, they want to hear off one of the dozens of websites on the nett. So just go hunting if you know the answer you want you will find it.
I know what you mean, you can definitely get different answers from almost everywhere you look šŸ˜‚. But I definitely prefer getting my info from one place/person that knows what theyā€™re talking about rather than getting different snippets from various places.

Iā€™ve only been keeping fish for a few months now so my own experience is very limited and unhelpful šŸ˜‚

Stick to this one weā€™re all here to help!

Plus we got Contests , Polls , Cooking Threads , Aviation Threads , Art Threads , Fishy Jokes and Fishy Music!

Plus I speak for all of us when I say we are all a little bit mad.
:banana: :rofl::rofl::banana:

I checked out Seriously Fish. Unsurprisingly, I found very little/no info on goldfish - my primary species of choice. Many sites have old theories and wrong info about them so I always look for a good source to refer people to, but it's tough to find. Looks like that site caters to tropical species mostly.

Plus I speak for all of us when I say we are all a little bit mad.
I'm not...and neither are my Voices. :p
Besides, it is my madness that keeps me sane. ;)

One problem we all share is that, facts aside, there is an art to fishkeeping and we all have different experiences, upon which we base our opinions.
Then to be able to distinguish between facts and opinions takes careful training/education.
Then to work out which so-called 'facts' are accurate and which are not, takes more work.

@bruce Leyland-Jonesā€™s voices seem pretty tame at the moment

Yeah itā€™s all about your own experience and then choosing what to believe and what not to believe with others

The senior members and staff are quick on correcting mistakes usually

This depends upon the type of information you are seeking. If you want to know about a species, such as size, tank requirement, numbers, habitat needs, and similar, there are good reliable sites. Seriously Fish is probably the best, and there are species-specific sites like CorydorasWorld, Planet Catfish, Loaches Online, etc. There are some excellent Facebook groups too, like CorydorasWortld (a spinoff of the internet site), Characins of the World, etc. The latter (the FB groups) can usually answer questions related to health that are specific to your fish. And of course forums like TFF.

The misinformation problem is a serious handicap in this hobby. You need to know who is behind the site, i.e., the individual running it and his/her knowledge level; once you know they have the credentials you can rely on their advice.
AbbeysDad whoā€™s a member here has an outstanding blog with embedded videos. Try that. Itā€™s well organized.

I am very surprised that the members here give "Seriously Fish" any mention. The information seems to be so broad it is useless for example I looked up Pearl Gourami pH 5.5-8 and Neon Tetra 4.5-7.5. If you look at Dr. Axelrod he will give information like Pearl Gourami 7 pH Neon Tetra 6.8. I would argue that " Seriously Fish " is just telling people that any fish can live in any tank, which I find incredible.

I am very surprised that the members here give "Seriously Fish" any mention. The information seems to be so broad it is useless for example I looked up Pearl Gourami pH 5.5-8 and Neon Tetra 4.5-7.5. If you look at Dr. Axelrod he will give information like Pearl Gourami 7 pH Neon Tetra 6.8. I would argue that " Seriously Fish " is just telling people that any fish can live in any tank, which I find incredible.
Donā€™t know Dr. Axelrod & maybe itā€™s just as well. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Donā€™t know Dr. Axelrod & maybe itā€™s just as well. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Herbert Axelrod wrote fish books and magazines back in the 60s and onwards. I'm pretty sure he started TFH publications, which is a major book publishing company for animal, bird and fish books.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back