Best website for accurate information on everything fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Bruben

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

what is the best and most reliable website to get info on everything fishkeeping?

Over the short period of time Iā€™ve been keeping fish, Iā€™ve noticed most websites have vastly different information on everything, including things I thought would be simple like the adult size of different fish species!

cheers!

This depends upon the type of information you are seeking. If you want to know about a species, such as size, tank requirement, numbers, habitat needs, and similar, there are good reliable sites. Seriously Fish is probably the best, and there are species-specific sites like CorydorasWorld, Planet Catfish, Loaches Online, etc. There are some excellent Facebook groups too, like CorydorasWortld (a spinoff of the internet site), Characins of the World, etc. The latter (the FB groups) can usually answer questions related to health that are specific to your fish. And of course forums like TFF.

The misinformation problem is a serious handicap in this hobby. You need to know who is behind the site, i.e., the individual running it and his/her knowledge level; once you know they have the credentials you can rely on their advice.

I re-joined the hobby after a 13-year hiatus and devoted a lot of time, whilst awaiting my tanks to cycle, scouring the internet for good reference sites and, in particular, YouTube channels. (I prefer Monkey See, Monkey Do, as a means of learning new stuff.
I also appreciated the YT channels that seems to have a degree of consistency with others and discounted all who showed off their brilliant tanks, that were then never, ever, seen again.
I also disregarded those who clearly had bad algae or snail problems, or those were the fish were swimming in a big glass box with nothing else.

So, for general fish info, I settled on Seriously Fish.

For YouTube channels, I subscribed to;
Aquarium CoOp
KGTropicals
Prime Time Aquatics
Rachel O'Leary

One site I did find interesting and useful, provided you actually do know what you're doing and don't take the advise as Gospel, only as relatively loose guidance, was Aqdvisor.

Be aware that ALL on-line resources are only as good as the Admin/Moderator Team and most, if not all of these, have a bias to a particular set of methods and philosophies. Some will promote one particular method above all others, even though other methods may be better. Others may support wholly inconsistent approaches to what I would call fish welfare. Still others are simply social media outlets for the socially inadequate.
Each of my referenced YouTube channels run an on-line chat session or two and I find these are rarely useful live, but often possess good information, to digest at leisure, later on.

This depends upon the type of information you are seeking. If you want to know about a species, such as size, tank requirement, numbers, habitat needs, and similar, there are good reliable sites. Seriously Fish is probably the best, and there are species-specific sites like CorydorasWorld, Planet Catfish, Loaches Online, etc. There are some excellent Facebook groups too, like CorydorasWortld (a spinoff of the internet site), Characins of the World, etc. The latter (the FB groups) can usually answer questions related to health that are specific to your fish. And of course forums like TFF.

The misinformation problem is a serious handicap in this hobby. You need to know who is behind the site, i.e., the individual running it and his/her knowledge level; once you know they have the credentials you can rely on their advice.
Thatā€™s brilliant, thank you! Iā€™ll check them all out

I re-joined the hobby after a 13-year hiatus and devoted a lot of time, whilst awaiting my tanks to cycle, scouring the internet for good reference sites and, in particular, YouTube channels. (I prefer Monkey See, Monkey Do, as a means of learning new stuff.
I also appreciated the YT channels that seems to have a degree of consistency with others and discounted all who showed off their brilliant tanks, that were then never, ever, seen again.
I also disregarded those who clearly had bad algae or snail problems, or those were the fish were swimming in a big glass box with nothing else.

So, for general fish info, I settled on Seriously Fish.

For YouTube channels, I subscribed to;
Aquarium CoOp
KGTropicals
Prime Time Aquatics
Rachel O'Leary

One site I did find interesting and useful, provided you actually do know what you're doing and don't take the advise as Gospel, only as relatively loose guidance, was Aqdvisor.
Great, thank you :)

I also tried finding YouTube channels but lots of the ones I watched gave conflicting info and being a complete newbie I had no idea which ones to believe.

I used aqadvisor myself to work out the stocking levels for my tank. Happy to see that more experienced hobbiests also use it as a guide!

I used aqadvisor myself to work out the stocking levels for my tank. Happy to see that more experienced hobbiests also use it as a guide!
It's okay as a guiding starting point only.
Granted, it's a huge advance on the old and outdated 1" per gallon cobblers, but it still fails to take into account other factors relating to compatibility and the need of some fish to be in shoals, for example. This is where I find Seriously Fish useful.

It's okay as a guiding starting point only.
Granted, it's a huge advance on the old and outdated 1" per gallon cobblers, but it still fails to take into account other factors relating to compatibility and the need of some fish to be in shoals, for example. This is where I find Seriously Fish useful.
It has been adding more and more aggresion warnings... Out of curiosity, I put a cichlid in with some other smaller fish and it gave me an aggression warning. And when I put 2 loaches in, it said they should be in groups of at LEAST 4-6

It has been adding more and more aggresion warnings... Out of curiosity, I put a cichlid in with some other smaller fish and it gave me an aggression warning. And when I put 2 loaches in, it said they should be in groups of at LEAST 4-6
Others have reported similar, which is good news, because it implies it is a work in progress.

Hi all,

what is the best and most reliable website to get info on everything fishkeeping?
THIS ONE :)

This site has been around for years and is one of the few fish forums that has survived social media.

Nobody here is trying to sell you anything and we all care about fish. We do this voluntarily to help new and old fish keepers so you can get the most out of the hobby and hopefully do well with your fish keeping.

There are some very knowledgeable people here (Byron, AbbeysDad, Essjay, Wills, EmeraldKing, etc) who are willing to offer free advice, which they have gained from years of fish keeping.

We have done all sorts of stupid things to our fish tanks and learnt from those experiences, and this means we tell you not to do stuff so you don't repeat our mistakes.

Many of the people here have a list of good quality links they can refer you to, if needed.

THIS ONE :)

This site has been around for years and is one of the few fish forums that has survived social media.

Nobody here is trying to sell you anything and we all care about fish. We do this voluntarily to help new and old fish keepers so you can get the most out of the hobby and hopefully do well with your fish keeping.

There are some very knowledgeable people here (Byron, AbbeysDad, Essjay, Wills, EmeraldKing, etc) who are willing to offer free advice, which they have gained from years of fish keeping.

We have done all sorts of stupid things to our fish tanks and learnt from those experiences, and this means we tell you not to do stuff so you don't repeat our mistakes.

Many of the people here have a list of good quality links they can refer you to, if needed.
Cheers Colin! šŸ‘šŸ»

Most reactions

trending

Back