Best Way To Clean This Rock?

ellena

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
GB
During my fishless cycle, my rock got very dirty. There was black stuff growing on it which I presumed was some sort of algae due to the ammonia in the tank. Before I fetched my fish a couple of weeks ago, I took it out and gave it a good scrub. Some of it came off, but it was still a bit stained. It's now grown (?) back as bad as it was before. I've only had 0 ammonia readings since adding the fish. Any idea what it might be and how to get rid of it? It's not even just where the light hits, you can see a bad patch at the bottom too. I have reduced the light from 8 hours to 6 though to see if that makes a difference.
3867375158_df2b90a319.jpg

Thanks for any tips :)
 
I wouldnt use household chemicals tbh. Blast it with a jet wash or just scrub with water only.
 
run it through a dishwasher - no soap

certainly wouldn't use any type of soap.
 
if you into cleaning fish id get one of them if it compliments your tank and is the right size for it, it will love eating all the algae
 
That is rubbish - you may find a fish that eats some algae but 'cleaning' fish - normally plecs - produce a large ammount of waste.

No fish should be considered as a tank cleaner - that is your job!

Also just to point out the only plec suitable for any of the original posters tanks is an oto - no other plec or so called 'cleaning' fish would be at all suitable.
 
It's just a real bug -bear of mine that plecs are seen as cleaners and then blamed if the tnak looks dirty - some people even think they eat poo :(
 
Right, so more scrubbing? :( Could I use dilute bleach on it? I seem to remember reading somewhere that was safe if you soaked it in a bucket with excess dechlor afterwards?
 
Get a scubber like ones people use for nail's<new>with hard handle, then boil some water, soak in water for about 10-15mins,,,then when waters hot enough to handle, scub scrub scrub using only elbow grease :lol:
Ive had rocks like that and lots worse and evrytime comes up looking like they did before, easy peasy
 
Thanks guys, the boiling water was the trick :) It almost all came off when I poured that on, then the rest came off quite easily. There's still a bit left, but it's nearly as good as new. Just hope I don't have to do that every week!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top