Best way to clean tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Guppylover3x

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
I want to reset up a tank that Iā€™ve not given some attention to for a good while. I want to know the best way to clean/disinfect it. Any advice is appreciated.

Thatā€™s going to depend on the size of the tank. Smaller ones can be taken outside and hoses down. Larger ones take little more time. Are you wanting to break it down and clean it or just drain and rinse?

Thatā€™s going to depend on the size of the tank. Smaller ones can be taken outside and hoses down. Larger ones take little more time. Are you wanting to break it down and clean it or just drain and rinse?

Thank you for your reply. The tanks a small 5g. I donā€™t want to break it down I just want to make sure itā€™s fully clean. Do you recommend using any products or anything? Thanks for your help.

You can use vinegar or aquarium salt to disinfect it. If you drain it down and wipe the sides well with dissolved aquarium salt or the vinegar and then rinse well it will do the trick. Also syphon/vacuum the substrate really well. You can soak the decor in the salt water. If the filter is up and running just rinse it with tank water. Rinse the filter media too.

You can use vinegar or aquarium salt to disinfect it. If you drain it down and wipe the sides well with dissolved aquarium salt or the vinegar and then rinse well it will do the trick. Also syphon/vacuum the substrate really well. You can soak the decor in the salt water. If the filter is up and running just rinse it with tank water. Rinse the filter media too.

Thank you for your feedback. Iā€™ve used a product bought of eBay before, apparently this aims to kill 99.9% of bacteria. I am not sure how effective this stuff is but I have a bottle to hand. The link is attached below. I will consider using salt to clean the tank. Thanks for the help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-C...leaner-Disinfectant-500ml-Spray-/232781689587

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for your feedback. Iā€™ve used a product bought of eBay before, apparently this aims to kill 99.9% of bacteria. I am not sure how effective this stuff is but I have a bottle to hand. The link is attached below. I will consider using salt to clean the tank. Thanks for the help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-C...leaner-Disinfectant-500ml-Spray-/232781689587

I cannot seem to get data on this. But from the little I can find, this is a product to use on an empty aquarium to clean the glass, at least that is what it seems to be. You cannot use it on substrate or any decor.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I cannot seem to get data on this. But from the little I can find, this is a product to use on an empty aquarium to clean the glass, at least that is what it seems to be. You cannot use it on substrate or any decor.

Thank you for your response. That seems quite accurate apart from it can be used on gravel too according to the listing. I have never used it on this and never ever will. Iā€™m quite particular about my gravel.

I guess it depends on the price. Vinegar works great and is about as cheap as you can get.

Does the tank have any fish in it or is it an empty tank that has been sitting around collecting dust?
What was in the tank and did it die?

If you had a tank sitting around collecting dust and it has not had any water or fish in it for months, then just wash it all out under tap water. Put the gravel in buckets and hose the gravel out to get rid of the dirt and dust. You might need to let the gravel soak for 24 hours and then hose it out again if there is algae and gunk that isn't washing off straight away.

Wash the inside of the tank with a clean sponge and rinse it out really well. Then set it back up.

If the tank has water in but no fish, then add a heap of rock salt or swimming pool salt. You keep adding salt until it no longer dissolves and then add a bit more. Leave the tank to run for 24 hours so the salt gets into everything, then drain it and rinse it all out under tap water. Set the tank back up and away you go.

Does the tank have any fish in it or is it an empty tank that has been sitting around collecting dust?
What was in the tank and did it die?

If you had a tank sitting around collecting dust and it has not had any water or fish in it for months, then just wash it all out under tap water. Put the gravel in buckets and hose the gravel out to get rid of the dirt and dust. You might need to let the gravel soak for 24 hours and then hose it out again if there is algae and gunk that isn't washing off straight away.

Wash the inside of the tank with a clean sponge and rinse it out really well. Then set it back up.

If the tank has water in but no fish, then add a heap of rock salt or swimming pool salt. You keep adding salt until it no longer dissolves and then add a bit more. Leave the tank to run for 24 hours so the salt gets into everything, then drain it and rinse it all out under tap water. Set the tank back up and away you go.

Thank you for your response. This has been lying around collecting dust it did have some water in thatā€™s now been emptied. Itā€™s had fish in before that have died at some point. I donā€™t reuse any gravel what so ever and never have. I always just remove old gravel and buy a new bag. Thanks for your help.

If you are concerned about diseases in the gravel, just boil it. Put the gravel in a steel pot, add water and bring it to the boil. Then turn it off and let it sit for 30 minutes. There won't be anything alive on it after that. Then you can wash it like normal and re-use it.

If you are concerned about diseases in the gravel, just boil it. Put the gravel in a steel pot, add water and bring it to the boil. Then turn it off and let it sit for 30 minutes. There won't be anything alive on it after that. Then you can wash it like normal and re-use it.

Thanks for the reply. I have actually used this method myself before but sometimes I just find it easier to remove it and replace it. Iā€™ve already removed the gravel from the tank whilst emptying the water out. Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back