Best Way To Catch A Featherfin Synodontis

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

EvolutionOfDemise

Reaction score
A little while ago I took in a few featherfin catfish. After a few months of getting them healthy they're finally ready to be moved; someone will be coming tomorrow to pick them up. When I first got them the owner used a net then threw them in a bag, needless to say they got stuck in both and it ended up doing some damage. So what's the best way to catch one? I know it's recommended to use a glass, however they are much too big for a glass. Any suggestions?

Any container will do; a plastic jug? Or an ice cream or margarine tub? Colendar?

Yeah, I guess I could use a jug. You'd think I would have thought of that, nope.
Thanks.

I use a net, and a deep bowl. Put the bowl in the tank, and use the next to kind of push him into the bowl. Be careful not to get him in the next though. They stick to nets like velcro!

The two times I've moved my ~18cm Synodontis decora I've use two different methods withod risking a net that can get tangled in their large first ray pectoral spines or dorsal fin (I saw a lovely S. notata last year who had lost all but his pectoral ray because of a net incident)...

1. The catfish loved a PVC pipe as a daytime roost, I slowly moved the pipe (fish's head end) against the tank glass and then slowly raised it out of the water.
  2. I gently coaxed the catfish into a large "fish bag" which I had totally submersed in the water.
1 was far easier than 2 by a country mile for me!

Thanks, they'll be picked up either tomorrow or Wednesday instead. I noticed one of the catfish had twitched and since that can be a sign of parasites I decided to wait. Turns out it was nothing but a sudden movement. Anyway, I'll try using the PVC pipe idea and see how that works out. It's very difficult to use a jug to catch them under water, they're much too fast. A colander may work, but there's still the concern of getting its dorsal fin stuck in the holes. Could that happen?

Most reactions

Back