BEST TANK SIZES FOR FW FISH

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

sand bottem tanks are the way to go for looks cause it is ever canging the bottem never looks same twice (a week or so) but it kinda sucks for cleaning ( i'm always suckuing up sand .....) any opne with a sand bottem tank have a secret on how to save the sand but suck the poo? lol that sounds funnny

If you ask me...DON't get anything less than 20 gallons :D

10 gallon tanks do work, but as people have said are a lot of work to maintain. I think I am very lucky with my 10 gallon tank in how it manages to remain almost maintenance-free despite the high lighting, CO2 supplementation and high plant loading.

I currently have a 10G and I'm planning on upgrading it to 55G, but I just wanted to know if its better to stick to the "usual" sizes or is it ok to go custom, I know a guy who would simply make IT to any measure I give him.

So what do you guys think, should I get it from the LPT, have it customized, or let my brother put it all together, he has never done it but since he is doing it for his own turtle tank. There might be a good reason on the current sizes that are sold but maybe there isn't any. :blink:

btw, here are some sites were you can calculate your tank volume:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_sizes.php
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/calculator.php
http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/tanktech2.asp

I was going to pick up a 55 gallon, but I may look into buying a 75 after reading this thread.

Ohh.. and wishiwasafish, the trick is to just hover the spihon over the substrate. The poop is lighter than the sand so it will just get sucked up.

i disagree with the 10 gallon not being a good begginer tank... my 2 first tanks were both 10 gallons (actually my very first was 1) but yea i have had them for quite some time and no problems!

My first tank was also a 10 gallon. Twice my fish died because I didn't know anything. I keep a betta in it now and it's pretty easy but that's with only 1 fish in it :rolleyes: . I plan on getting a bigger tank if I get back to community tropical fish.

I do think that starting off big is better than with less than a 10Gal tanks, specially because, at least in my case, when you get into the hobbie the first thing you want to do is to get as many "pretty" fish you see at the store.

Even though I'm 23, I was lucky that the guy at the LPS told me to get as much info as possible before getting the fish I wanted, because I was about to get 15 little fish (including a niddle fish and 2 angels :hyper: ) to an uncycled 10Gal tank.

I got 2 fish instead (but I've had gotten other 4 somewere else) and from those 6 only 2 made it through the terrible "New tank" syndrome. :-(

So, I'm about to get a 55/75Gal tank now

enchanted said:
I would not recommend a 100 Gallon tank but I would recommend a 125 Gallon tank.

My reasoning behind this is simple, cost. I called many places pricing tanks because I wanted to stay at 100 Gallon but get a 6' tank thinking I could save money.

As it turns out every place I called and even online averaged to about a $10.00 difference between a 100 and 125. So, it is more realistic to spend the extra money on the 125 rather than spend $10.00 less and buy a 100.
Actually around me where a 120 is a 4ft tank the 120 was more money and a 100 was also within $5 of a 125.

As far as cost per gallon there is a drastic difference between a 125 and a 180 or 120(basically anything 24" wide.

Also though a 125 6' tends to be just about as reasonable as a 90G within $40.

After keeping fish for 40-odd years and manufacturing 1000,s of aquaria, I would definitely advise going as large as you can, with a personal preferance of being slightly wider than tall, for optical effect and also ease of maintenance.

I have a 10 gallon tropical tank but that was bought cause I didn't have a lot of money and wanted to start on tropicals and having 15 years of goldfish keeping and yes one of my first goldfish is still with us.

Basically I would sudgest 20 to 30 gallons to be a good starter tank i.e. the bigger the tank the easier to control the invisable stuff

I suggest you go with the other people... I have a 10 gallon because I'm planning to put in small fish in it like tetras and cories...But im still not sure they would fit...Well anyways the saying is not "the bigger the tank the more work" its actually "The smaller the tank the more work" one reason being that the water in a 5 gallon and 10 gallon can change pretty quickly. One mistake all the water in it goes bad. But if your an exprienced fish keeper than you would quickly know tricks to help all those problems for happening. Not saying that I have experience I get help from the experienced. :D ...

I don't suggest under a 20L for anyone new to the hobby 40 breeder or larger would be best (but not as cheep as the 20L :( ).
10g are inexpensive and great for sick tanks, but too small to be considered "easy" care.
IF you HAVE to go smaller the 15g normal Long? is ok as well as the 10g
Any other shapes are inferior :) And a waist of foot print

I just don't know what to say... I sell aquatic supplies part time at an independent pet store. In the past month sales have been very good. I can tell you overall we have sold some 55 of Marineland's Eclipse System tanks. About 10 were 3 gallon bows, c. 10 were 5 gallon hex, c. 10 were 5 gallon corner, c. 15 were 6 gallon bows, and 10 were 12 gallon bows. I personally sold about 1/3 of them. I tried to explain what would be appropriate for these tanks.
For the right customer, with guidance, they can be very enjoyable small tanks.

Mhm... I see both sides, having started with a 3g, but unless like me and many others you need housing for lots of bettas, anything under 5g is just a waste... I find with the 3g's, 100% water changes are needed and it is just too heavy to move in one go full of water. Also, anything under 10g is very hard to stock- there are plenty of options, but many are uncommon and rarely imported, and most really aren't things people who's first tank it is would pick.

Tank sizewise, go for the widest you can. I get very annoyed when I go out and all the tanks have 12" width- this is useless, really, unless you're only keeping very small community fish. More width definately makes aquascaping easier, I found it very hard to aquascape my 15g, which is 18"L x 12"Wx 15"H.

Most reactions

Back