Best substrate for German Blue Rams?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I got a video yesterday but they were mostly looking for more food. Hope to get one when they are interacting

I do not have another tank set up for them. Looking at getting my foundation fixed, so for right now I have a cluttered tank, a pair living behind the piece of slate, a pair behind the filter and a pair in the middle. I have a 40 gallon long with largish gravel on 3/4 of it, and sand on other quarter, but I don't think the tetras want to share, and I do not want to move tetras into my 55 until it has been a couple of months since red eye tetras who were not healthy were removed. I have beautiful Buenos Aires Tetras in my 40 long that are healthy.

I do not have another tank set up for them. Looking at getting my foundation fixed, so for right now I have a cluttered tank, a pair living behind the piece of slate, a pair behind the filter and a pair in the middle. I have a 40 gallon long with largish gravel on 3/4 of it, and sand on other quarter, but I don't think the tetras want to share, and I do not want to move tetras into my 55 until it has been a couple of months since red eye tetras who were not healthy were removed. I have beautiful Buenos Aires Tetras in my 40 long that are healthy.
It sounds like the pair in the middle are dominant. Again, as soon as you are able, I would split them up. Rams do great with tetras as most tetras can't fit into their mouth and many tetra species don't let themselves be pushed around.

It's in the best interest of the fish and will result in a much happier tank - especially if the dominant pair breed.
Rams can be pretty feisty when breeding. Best of luck to you and them!

I removed my trilineatus corydoras from the 40 long last night, found one dead, they were not fast enough to compete for food with these really large tetras. I'm not worried about the tetras being pushed around @kribensis12 , I'm worried about my rams. also the tetras are running about 10 degrees cooler than the rams

Hey Alice,

I certainly can't force you and I do see your concern.

What I do know: It is highly unlikely that all of your Blue Rams are going to thrive in that tank, over time. They are territorial and need plenty of ground space. They are a fairly sensitive fish to water quality and stress; so the stress alone may actually kill them.
I do also know that if those rams breed (more when not if), that tank will turn into a hell-scape for the rest.

What I believe to be true:
Rams generally do well with Tetras as they are a bottom dwelling species and don't have long flowing fins (which would be a perfect target for those tetras). I think that, even if you adjusted the water to 80F, that it would be enough of a compromise if it becomes apparent that the rams are bullying. If you notice bullying, it's not "going to get better tomorrow". It will only get better when the weaker fish is dead.

I am raising the temperature on the 40 long tonight. If it is 80 in the morning I will move a pair of Rams into the 40

I live in Texas. The odds on cooking fish are much higher than on freezing them. I think it might be a 200. I'm not buying a 300. I might add a 100 watt at other end of tank instead. Or just turn this one up, I don't want to kill my fish. debating on moving every one out and just dumping these in.

I thought I wanted Rams. I thought I wanted to set my tanks back up. I'm not sure I want to stay with the hobby anymore. Specimen tanks all over the house were an issue when I kept angels and they turned out to all be male. I don't keep angels anymore. I don't keep africans anymore.

I don't mind species only unless I have too many tanks and can't walk thru the house. I have made a decision. I have a pair of old 10s in the shed, clean up em up, see if I have heaters, set them up, split these 3 pair up and sell off 2 pair. have to clean some sponges and get them culturing in other tanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back