Best substrate for German Blue Rams?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My water isn't terribly soft, but neither is the water from the fish store I got them at. I think I tested and it was 6 dgh

I have 2 male rams with rosy bellies and one apparent female. Something tells me I am going to have to put someone in a net breeder. or I have 3 males. I could go buy more, plenty of room and filtration in that tank, they look good, and maybe hope to get a female and to keep the rest from killing each other?

I have 2 male rams with rosy bellies and one apparent female. Something tells me I am going to have to put someone in a net breeder. or I have 3 males. I could go buy more, plenty of room and filtration in that tank, they look good, and maybe hope to get a female and to keep the rest from killing each other?

Wierd. The quote is longer than your post.
Edit…. When I quoted it only the top half of the post was there.

You’re not sure of the genders?

Last edited:
They are juveniles and at least 2 are male, they are flashing red bellies and doing a little sparring, the 3rd one is not flashing red belly yet but he or she is the largest, so I added some decorations so they can each pick a hideout

You seem to be saying they’re males because of the red bellies? The females have the red bellies. Males usually don’t.
Do you have any good pictures of them?

no good pictures yet but I have 2 with red bellies, one with yellow. Trying to get a picture. I know the red is breeding coloration, but the red bellied ones are sparring so I thought they were the males

I'll try to break the olympus out this evening and see if I can clean the glass and get better pics

The two with red bellies are female. Female cichlids will spar just as much as males. They each want the other to ****** off so that the tank is their own breeding territory, for when a handsome male in breeding condition swims by.

How do we see the other five?

Good side-on pictures are much easier for sexing.

:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back