Best substrate for German Blue Rams?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The third one looks probably male. If you want to make them feel more at home fill the tank with plants and caves so that they can’t see each other all the time. It’ll also probably reduce the aggression.
:)

2 females 1 male?
I will see what I can do about the caves, first thing was making sure they were healthy, which they appear to be.

I think it may be too late for caves. I do have a net breeder to separate one of the females and keep her in this tank. Or I can raise the temp on my tank with guppies and albino BN father and babies. It's at 76 right now. It's at 80 in summer and doesn't seem to bother them. (my AC thermostat stops around 80 in summer)

Minimum temperature for Rams is generally given as about 78 (their winter low). Mid 80s for breeding. I wouldn’t keep them below 80 long term.

I compromised, had a brand new net breeder in a box (which I've probably had for 10 years.) I put the female that was off by herself in it. Now the other female is chasing the male around. These guys are a hoot, and I didn't have enough live plants so I had a few sinking base pennplax silks in another box and I rinsed and dropped in, made an obstacle course. I hope they don't kill each other. The dominant female's whole underside was bright red last night when I was netting her enemy...

I’d put her back in for now. Now that the tank is hers (the female you left in), the male isn’t ready for breeding and also needs to go away. It’s stressed and stress invites disease. It also could get damaged and/or killed.

If you’re wanting a matched pair, you’ll need to add a male in breeding condition, with lots of hiding places and line-of-sight breaks while he settles in. Preferably add a few males in condition… but it’s not easy as many Rams these days are hormone-fed, so if all the males in a shop are colourful they’re not necessarily in breeding condition.

these were a bunch of juveniles, should I just buy 3 more? can't tell who is who in store tank

This species needs to form a pair on their own. It is easy to discern "pairs" in a tank of rams. You will see the males "charging" one another regularly [this does usually not develop into serious physical aggression because of the crowded conditions in the tank], and if a male has selected a female, she will be the fish close to his space that he clearly tolerates. That is the pair to acquire.

I shall see if I can get up there this afternoon. Have to get antifreeze checked in trucks and heaters off bypass

got them. videos tomorrow. Their decorated tank is the greatest mishmash of old decorations ever seen, but hopefully they will all stay alive. Got 2 males 1 female I'm pretty sure

Last edited:
I'm very interested in the videos, as I have the exact same behaviour with my rams, as you describe.

I will try and take some videos today. They have settled down, now that there are 6. I have not had time to look at them as much, I've been late in feeding and I look at the tank and all 6 are lined up in front and watching me, waiting for food.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back