Best Substrate For A Planted Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Akasha72 said:
your tank is STUNNING Alasse ... I wish I could aquascape that good 
drool.gif
Thank you....this scape is no more though, i pulled it down :) Different scape in this tank now :)

O wow. All your tanks are very beautiful. I did the sand change with my own yesterday and it cleared up within a few hours... No floating sand, and my Cory's seem to LOVE it. I've read about dead spots too, unsure if its because I have a bow front tank that the power filter can't get down to the bottom. I have two air stones. Should I look into a powerhead? Also, my poor little Amazon Sword plant I accidently left it on the fake plants and didn't realize it till I went to put it back in that it had shriveled up. I still have it in the pot from Petco. I was looking at root tabs for planted aquariums. I also bought a snail free Asian Waterfern that I haven't put in yet. I do want a planted tank but it does take time because you don't want to shock your system. Especially with the sand change right now. Gotta wait to add more plants. I will take a pic soon and post it. Thanks all for all your comments and help.
All your aquariums are AMAZING!

Huntress said:
O wow. All your tanks are very beautiful. I did the sand change with my own yesterday and it cleared up within a few hours... No floating sand, and my Cory's seem to LOVE it. I've read about dead spots too, unsure if its because I have a bow front tank that the power filter can't get down to the bottom. I have two air stones. Should I look into a powerhead? Also, my poor little Amazon Sword plant I accidently left it on the fake plants and didn't realize it till I went to put it back in that it had shriveled up. I still have it in the pot from Petco. I was looking at root tabs for planted aquariums. I also bought a snail free Asian Waterfern that I haven't put in yet. I do want a planted tank but it does take time because you don't want to shock your system. Especially with the sand change right now. Gotta wait to add more plants. I will take a pic soon and post it. Thanks all for all your comments and help.
All your aquariums are AMAZING!

Don't worry about dead spots.  Filtration is often mis-understood.  In a planted tank, depending upon the fish species, you generally only need a filter that is good at mechanical filtration and provides some water movement.  Thermal currents will move water even with no filter.

Some fish need more water current, some need next to none.  Mixing the two is never good, because there really is no "middle road," someone will be unhappy.  My smaller tanks, being 10g, 20g, two 29g, 33g and a 40g all have a dual sponge filter, nothing else.  All have plants.  The fish are forest fish, and quiet water suits them.

Byron.

Thanks, I am looking for some kind of good aquarium plant to cover the bottom of my tank so the fish poo will fertilize it. I read that the java moss is good for beginners in plants also dwarf hair grass. I purchased some root tabs on amazon today too, unsure if there good but hoping so. Plus I thought I needed some covers for my power filter, but nope. No sand is getting in so I think I will be sending them back.  Thus far my fish seem happier. I am planning on growing some type of plants over the castle exterior n such.
e83d7f0.jpg

Substrate is the material used for creating a layer on the bottom of the aquarium on which aquatic organisms obtain nourishment. substrate of a fish tank plays a crucial role in maintaining the water chemistry and checks the well-being of aquatic plants and other inhabitants.
3 types of substrate are available on the market:
CaribSea Eco-Complete
Seachem Flourite
Fluval Plant And Shrimp Stratum

Instead of this Gravel, Sand, Laterite, Fluorite types of substrate are also available. For my personal opinion Grave and Sand, substrate is best for the planted fish tank. I have used this types of substrate for my 20-gallon planted tank. I got a great help from https://fishboxpro.com/best-substrate-planted-tank/, this site for choosing the best substrate for my fish aquarium. If you want you can check the link.

To those who it may concern: I have just posted an update on a similar thread detailing the process I followed to carry out a soil substrate swap in an established aquarium:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back