Best Guess Colors

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

basedonfact

Reaction score
So, I am by no means a fish breeder, it was never my intention. However, sometimes we find baby guppies at work, and I normally take them home. They normally get eaten. That's kind of what I expect.

I've had four however that defied the odds and survived... Three females, and a male. Since they've gotten bigger, I've also added a betta and some german blue rams, and assumed they'd eat any babies so I was still not really worried.

... Yeah. None of my fish are eating the babies. So now I have a tank full of babies. I'm going to rehome the male guppy so we don't keep having babies, but the babes I already have I'll let thrive until they get bigger before I rehome them. Since I don't know anything about fishy genetics, I'm just curious if you guys can give me any educated guesses on what the babies will look like! All three females had fry (at the same time too. Weird.)

Couldn't get good pictures, so I studied them, this is their markings. I'm an awesome artist I know (sarcasm.) The females are honestly the most vibrant females I've seen; They are half black, yellow tail, and perfect circle black spots; They don't look like the 'endler' guppies I've seen with the wiggly spots and lines. 

Two girls both are like this:
WBeSl9q.png

Boy looks like this.
Clx0EpO.png

Third girl is just grey with no color, I assume her babies will follow suit.

Most of the babies are already displaying a half-black pattern, and they are about two weeks old. I know that normally when you mix different patterns, you just get ugly
tongue2.gif
It'll be fun to watch them develop color either way.

... Also, do females NORMALLY grow so much faster than males? The males and females are maybe a month apart, and the females are easily 2-3x as large as the male!

It's great fun watching the outcome of different colours. Love your drawings by the way-very in depth
tongue2.gif
my female looks like your female in your drawing! She has just had fry with my all black male so the fry are all half black at the moment. 
You can easily tell the females from the males at around 3 weeks old, the females are very long and mine had gravid spots at this age, the males are short lol. This is just because typically, females are larger than males. I don't think when you mix patterns you get ugly, you get best of both worlds.
If the 3rd girl is just grey with no colour the male fry will end up the same colour as the male she mates with and the females could get the males colouring on the tail and some will be the same as the female.

Only one of my male platies grew just about as fast as the females but my other two males are half the size. One of my adult males I bought from lfs grew a little but it still is smaller than all the females bought at same time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back