Best food to fatten up Corydoras Habrosus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

QiQi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Unfortunately, one of my cories died a few minutes ago, it was still breathing but there was nothing I could do, it was already sideways and not moving.
There were no signs of disease, I noticed it had a sunken belly. The rest look fatter than this one was.
They were quite skinny when I bought them, especially the smaller ones.
I feed them frozen bloodworms and spirulina wafers. Is there anything else I can do?

Now that I think about it, they all had really short barbels and only one set when I bought them. Could this affect their ability to eat? Wish I noticed it at the store but they are so tiny that I couldn't see.

yeah i think it does...
spirulina is not that good for cories in my opinion, shrimp wafers are better

spirulina is not that good for cories in my opinion, shrimp wafers are better
I feed bloodworms daily, spirulina is just an extra for them if they want to chew on

I feed bloodworms daily, spirulina is just an extra for them if they want to chew on
oh. maybe do try the wafers though... they might like it.

I ordered them fluval bottom feeder bug bites too. I lost another one an hour later. This one had a normal belly and again no signs of illness. I have tested the water 3 times, everything is normal. If there was something wrong, I would have noticed since my cherry shrimp start climbing a specific corner in the tank but they are all fine. Now I read that it could be a weak stock or they might be sick and not showing signs of illness. I really like them and I am so upset that this happened.

Barbels don't stop catfish feeding. They use the barbels to help find food, but use their mouth to eat the food.

Some of the best foods to fatten Corydoras up include frozen (but defrosted) foods like prawn, fish, squid, bloodworms, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp.

With prawn/ shrimp, defrost the prawn. Remove the head, shell and gut (thin black tube in tail) and throw these bits away. Use a pair of scissors to cut the remaining prawn tail into little bits and offer a few pieces at a time. Feed until the fish are full, then stop feeding and remove uneaten food.

------------------
Feed the fish 3-5 times per day for at least 4 weeks. Do big (75%) water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day or two during this time to keep the tank clean.

The tank is 18gal
Temperature 25Celcius(77F)
The filter is a big sponge filter (filters up to 50gal)

Water parameters:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
GH 7
KH 6
Ph 7
Cl2 0

I do 20% water changes every week. I remineralize RO water with salty shrimp gh/kh+
(excuse the low quality picture, I don't have a camera, it was just taken with my phone)
tank23.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back