Best food for Bolivian Rams.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

When we can provide for both, it can work, so long as we recognize that different fish have differing needs when it comes to flow, and they must be accommodated.

So the WCM can stay as long as I find a home for the Algae eater and the Kuhlii loach?

So the tank stocking would be: 7 black neon tetras, 5 WCM , 1 neon blue goby, and one ram. What are your ideas about anchor catfish? I am aware that they are substrate feeders along with rams.

The white clouds hang out on one side of the tank where the current is highest
This is because warm water holds less oxygen than cold water, and they are hanging around the outlet to get the fast moving water over their gills so they can breathe.

I often see the same problem when people have Hill stream loaches in community tanks.

I'm looking at them right now and they look like they are swimming around the tank happily. None on them are at the filter right now. I can post a photo if you want.

I wouldn't worry much about the white clouds if the temp remains mid-70's, but if you do have a blue ram and it needs warmth, you will have to decide which. The ram will not live long at cooler temperatures, the WC will not be healthy at 80F.

The Anchor Catfish, presumably is this one
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/hara-jerdoni/
which needs cooler temp (than the ram) and slow moving water. So you need to sort out the ram issue first, as this is going to impact everything else.

I forgot the photos previously, sorry, here they are now. Bolivian Rams.

Attachments

• Mikrogeophagus altispinosus pair.jpg
    Mikrogeophagus altispinosus pair.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Mikrogeophagus altispinosus2.jpg
    Mikrogeophagus altispinosus2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 196
Thanks for the image. The ram is starting to show signes of ick. I'm am going to hold off on doing anything with his tank for now except for water changes and raising the temperature. Just to make sure, my 29 gallon tank is fine without the one loach, the pea puffer and the algae eater, but adding the 4 neon tetras. The ram can't tolerate 78 but the white clouds can but he can tolerate 80 degrees and the WCM can't? Is it fine if I can keep the ram 2 degrees under the recommended temperature?

Last edited:
Thanks for the image. The ram is starting to show signes of ick. I'm am going to hold off on doing anything with his tank for now except for water changes and raising the temperature. Just to make sure, my 29 gallon tank is fine without the one loach, the pea puffer and the algae eater, but adding the 4 neon tetras. The ram can't tolerate 78 but the white clouds can but he can tolerate 80 degrees and the WCM can't? Is it fine if I can keep the ram 2 degrees under the recommended temperature?

The best I believe I can suggest is to leave everything as is for the present. If the ram (which I assume is still in the 10g) has ich, it may die or it may survive. The temperature (thinking of long-term normal maintenance) is critical for this species. If it does survive and you cure the ich, the ram must be in a warm water tank. These rams (both species) are rather delicate fish, and sensitive to water conditions and parameters. If this was a Bolivian, at least the temperature aspect would be less problematic.

If the ram dies, then the 29g will be fine with the re-homed fish you mentioned and the additional black neons. And you can consider additional fish then.

Thanks for your help. The ram seems to be getting better. His color is more vibrant and he is eagerly begging for food as I pass by the tank.

I think he is a German Blue Ram. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_7619.jpg
    IMG_7619.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
Here is the tank. How long do you think he can stay in here?

Attachments

• IMG_7623.jpg
    IMG_7623.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 183
Its a german blue but looks like a little girl to me

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I knew it was German Blue Ram! The place that I got her from said it was a bolivian ram. She did not look like it once i put her in the tank. How can you tell she is a female? How long do you think the tank will last her?

That is Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, not the Bolivian (M. altispinosus), and I would also think a female from the pinkish area.

Is that really a 10 gallon tank? Looks larger, or the ram is extremely small, though I have never seen them so small in stores.

That is why I was concerned about moving her so early. She seems very content in the tank. She is sifting, eating, begging. I dont want to put her in the 29 gallon and have everything go wrong in terms of agression, disease, and the heath of the other fish. The ram is actually smaller in real life( 1 and a half inches)

How much bigger will she get?

Last edited:
That is why I was concerned about moving her so early. She seems very content in the tank. She is sifting, eating, begging. I dont want to put her in the 29 gallon and have everything go wrong in terms of agression, disease, and the heath of the other fish. The ram is actually smaller in real life( 1 and a half inches)

How much bigger will she get?

Generally around 2 inches (5 cm) though some strains can get a bit larger. But not like the Bolivian, so this is a different issue. I would leave her in this tank, at a temp around 80F permanently. That means no puffer, so that issue is now back.

Yer the pink belly and the black front rays of the dorsel fin are short.

on the males these get longer with age

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back