Best fish food brands

Geordie Paul

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone I was just wondering what company makes the best or a very high quality food? I have Corys, rainbows, BN Pleco, and cherry barbs. I want to keep my fish very healthy and live a long life. I'll be ordering from Amazon, just wondering what the best brand(s) are. Looking for any food type. Don't care about price. Thanks!

Omega One is the best IMO.

They have the best ingredients. I feed my Neon Tetras the Omega One tropical flakes, and I feed my Cory's Omega One shrimp pellets.

You can feed your rainbows and cherry barbs Omega One tropical flakes. (And the Cory's the shrimp pellets I mentioned)

FLUVAL bug bites are also good.

Omega One is the best IMO.

They have the best ingredients. I feed my Neon Tetras the Omega One tropical flakes, and I feed my Cory's Omega One shrimp pellets.

You can feed your rainbows and cherry barbs Omega One tropical flakes. (And the Cory's the shrimp pellets I mentioned)

FLUVAL bug bites are also good.

Those are both options that I've really been considering. Thanks!

They are all good. Omega One does seem to be a cut above most brands. Don't rely solely on prepared foods. If you can at all do some live foods. I have Grindal worms and wingless fruit flies going now. It is fun to watch the fish get excited as they see food twitching and wiggling. They attack ! They don't just eat. I think this stimulates growth and vitality. Back to prepared foods. I have always fed flake food but I have switched to pellets recently. They do seem to be better but I can't put my finger on the why.

Hey everyone I was just wondering what company makes the best or a very high quality food? I have Corys, rainbows, BN Pleco, and cherry barbs. I want to keep my fish very healthy and live a long life. I'll be ordering from Amazon, just wondering what the best brand(s) are. Looking for any food type. Don't care about price. Thanks!
I am absolutely in love with the Sera O-Nip tabs. Good quality ingredients, they stick to the side of your tank allowing for fish to nibble on the and also having some fall down for my Cory's. You can break the tabs in half, or quarters if 1 is too much food at once. They are about $4 on Amazon for 24 tabs. They are in foil packs that you pop out as needed too so the food stays much more fresh.

They are all good. Omega One does seem to be a cut above most brands. Don't rely solely on prepared foods. If you can at all do some live foods. I have Grindal worms and wingless fruit flies going now. It is fun to watch the fish get excited as they see food twitching and wiggling. They attack ! They don't just eat. I think this stimulates growth and vitality. Back to prepared foods. I have always fed flake food but I have switched to pellets recently. They do seem to be better but I can't put my finger on the why.

All great points thanks! How would I be able to get a hold of the wingless fruit flies? And how to keep them alive

All great points thanks! How would I be able to get a hold of the wingless fruit flies? And how to keep them alive
You should be able to find them at a pet store. Most have them

I ordered my Drosophila melanogaster (wingless fruit flies) from The Fruit Fly Shop in San Diego California. Got my culture, flies and everything from them. Remarkably easy to culture and maintain. Look at their website. It is very educational and informative. When I got them last week I fed some right away. They give you many more than you need to inoculate your culture. My Golden Wonder Killies went absolutely nuts ! They thrashed and splashed and hunted them like a wolf pack. I have Frogbit covering quite a bit of the surface and a lot of the flies crawled up on the leaves to escape their tormentors. It was a short lived escape from danger. Golden Wonders have what is known as a parietal eye on top of their head that senses shadows and sunlight. They could see the flies from underneath. So cool to watch them hang motionless at a 45 degree angle under the leaves watching for movement. When a fly crawled he got death from below. In another tank I have three one inch fry who don't seem to be getting much out of newly hatched brine shrimp anymore. They gorged to great fullness on the flies. So nice to see bulging bellies again. I think I will order another culture of the larger Drosophila hydei winged fruit flies for my bigger fish and use the smaller D. Melanogaster for fry. All are flightless so no problem with escapees. Give it a try. It's fun.

Last edited:
I think the Top 3 brands are:
1)Northfin
2)New Life Spectrum(NLS)
3)Omega One

I saw a website which give ratings for different brands and Northfin was given 6 stars and NLS was given 5 stars but I am not sure how accurate is their ratings.

But for NLS, they tend to be harder and some fish won't eat them.
I find that Hikari brand is the easiest to feed most fish as they are specially catered for different species of fish occupying different levels in the tank.

My fish's opinion on Northfin

(These are their carnivore pellets)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back