Best Fertilizer Regimen?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dmpfishlover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I filled my 55 gallon aquarium with live plants three days ago. I'm new to planted tanks, so I want to make sure I am using the best Fertilization regimen. I used Seachem Root Tabs for the plants rooted in the substrate (sand), and liquid fertilizer (Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement) for the epiphyte and floating plants.

My questions are:

1. How long (on average) do root Tabs last? When should I add new tabs for the rooted plants?

2. How much liquid fertilizer should I add and how frequently? The instructions for the Seachem Flourish Comprehensive indicates that 5ml (one capfull) should be added for every 60 gallons once or twice a week. I added a little under a capful for my 55 gallon tank after I planted the tank. Is this the best amount, and how often should I add it?

Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

My root tabs last between 2 and 3 months. So I usually put new ones in after 2 months.
For the comprehensive I use half the recommended dosage once a week. If that's not enough go to twice a week (pref), or the full dose once a week.

The Seachem Flourish line is one of the best, provided you stay with the two products you already have and do not acquire any of the others. Both the Flourish Tabs and the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement are complete in the sense that they have all the necessary nutrients and in the correct proportions. They do skimp on the "hard" minerals because most people have these in their tap water. What is the GH of your water?

I use the Tabs for the larger substrate-rooted plants like swords, and bulb plants like lilies and aponogeton benefit. One tab close to the crown of the plant, replaced every 3-4 months. The liquid I would follow the directions, though this depends upon how many plants and which plants. Faster growing plants need more nutrients. But adding too much can cause algae issues, and plant problems. I tend to start out with the once a week dose at the level on the label (once, not twice), and dose on the day following the water change.

My root tabs last between 2 and 3 months. So I usually put new ones in after 2 months.
For the comprehensive I use half the recommended dosage once a week. If that's not enough go to twice a week (pref), or the full dose once a week.
Thank you!!

The Seachem Flourish line is one of the best, provided you stay with the two products you already have and do not acquire any of the others. Both the Flourish Tabs and the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement are complete in the sense that they have all the necessary nutrients and in the correct proportions. They do skimp on the "hard" minerals because most people have these in their tap water. What is the GH of your water?

I use the Tabs for the larger substrate-rooted plants like swords, and bulb plants like lilies and aponogeton benefit. One tab close to the crown of the plant, replaced every 3-4 months. The liquid I would follow the directions, though this depends upon how many plants and which plants. Faster growing plants need more nutrients. But adding too much can cause algae issues, and plant problems. I tend to start out with the once a week dose at the level on the label (once, not twice), and dose on the day following the water change.
Thank you!! I will follow this.

I used Sera Florena liquid plant fertiliser and an iron (Fe) test kit. I kept the iron levels on 1ppm and the plants did well.

Unless you test the water regularly (several times a week) with an iron test kit, there is no way of telling how much fertiliser the plants are using. They might be using it all in 1 or 2 days, or they might not be using it all after a week.

If you aren't testing the water for fertiliser, then only dose the tank once a week and do a 75-90% water change each week before re-dosing. The big water change will dilute any remaining fertiliser and reduce the risk of overdosing and killing the fish.

I used Sera Florena liquid plant fertiliser and an iron (Fe) test kit. I kept the iron levels on 1ppm and the plants did well.

Unless you test the water regularly (several times a week) with an iron test kit, there is no way of telling how much fertiliser the plants are using. They might be using it all in 1 or 2 days, or they might not be using it all after a week.

If you aren't testing the water for fertiliser, then only dose the tank once a week and do a 75-90% water change each week before re-dosing. The big water change will dilute any remaining fertiliser and reduce the risk of overdosing and killing the fish.
Great advice. Thank you!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back