Best Coloured Substrate For Crystal Red Shrimp?

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Joined
Mar 26, 2009
Messages
5,527
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Location
Uk, Nottinghamshire
Quite a few people said black sand....and I have nothing against it.
It's just that at the moment I have some normal leftover sand from my current tank.
I'd rather not spend an extra £25 on substrate if possible, so what do you think...
Will they look just as nice on normal sand, or would they look significantly better on black sand?

Also the tank in a Aqua 40, 33cm x 30cm so it's not a huge surface area to cover. Another reason I don't want to spend huge amounts on more substrate just to have loads leftover.
 
it is down to person preference with substrate tbh

most shrimp i have had very rarely venture down to the substrate (but i did have bottom feeders) mainly stayed on plants and ornaments

sand looks better than gravel in most cases go with what you have or want
 
Probably goes best in the inverts forum, but nvm :).

While black sand bring out their colours better through contrast, it also looks very artificial to me IMO so I think regular natural coloured sand is best. If your not sure about the colour of your sand, just let carpeting plants grow all over it, that will look very nice with the ed and white of the shrimp :D.
 
Yeah I do definitely prefer the natural coloured sand tbh. I just wanted to show them off to their best.
I don't want to have £50 worth of shrimp and then not have them looking great! lol

I think I will just stick with the sand I have and have a go with a carpeting plants to cover it anyways.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top