Best Algae Eater?

i bought a BN to eat the algae in my tank and he is doing a fab job on the decorations and filter, but not the glass for some reason!!!! i might get an oto to join him and help out. are these common in lfs??
You need to buy at least several otos. Like cories they prefer to be in groups. I can only speak for my locality but they are currently available in Australia, at least via the wholesalers if not in store. This is not always the case though. I believe the vast majority are wild-caught which may explain their seasonal availability, as well as their relatively high price. They cost about $9 here for a 3.5cm fish.
 
Thanks all,

I will maybe look at some Amano Shrimp or failing that just keep on top of the Algae problem myself with regular maintenance. I don't really want to overstock the tank with more fish despite the temptation!!

I would also ideally want another couple of Corys as I had 4, but 2 died leaving me with just a pair.
 
I've got both amano shrimp and BN plecs in my 10 gal cube and they've cleared best part of the algae in two weeks. I do find that planted tanks tend to reach a stage where the algae just doesn't grow anymore. It's happened the same in all three of my tanks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top