Beginner That Loves Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OwenMoore

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to continue setting up a tank? I have 3 female platys 2 males, gravel 5 tall plants, 2 grass like 3 bushy a short vary bushy plant (so fry can hide) some decorations and clorean remover. My tank is 10 gallons and 2 1/2 days old. I know not to touch the water so the good bacteria can build up but life is getting a little dull with only 1 kind of fish. I am thinking about getting a non-aggressive dwarf lobster can someone make a suggestion?

Hi Owen and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to have to say this but a 10 gallon tank is too small for Mollies. Also in my opinion 2 males and 3 females is a bad combination.

Personally I'd steer away from a lobster or crab of any kind in a community setting.  

If you want to keep crustaceans I'd look at getting some shrimp.  Red Cherry Shrimp are fascinating to watch and will not add much to the bio-load of your tank.

NickAu said:
Hi Owen and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to have to say this but a 10 gallon tank is too small for Mollies. Also in my opinion 2 males and 3 females is a bad combination.
He said he has platys :)
If you've only had the tank for less than 3 days the tank probably isn't cycled and your fish may die if ammonia and nitrites are there. Do you have a water test kit so you can check your water parameters?
I'd also second the opinion that a lobster is a bad idea. What about a mystery snail or cherry shrimp like previously suggested?
If you've only had them for 3 days I'd hope your life isn't getting dull yet from just keeping one kind of fish ;)
In all honesty, a 10 gallon isn't large enough too add much more than you have.
Good luck with the tank and do let us know if you have a test kit and can get us those numbers :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back