Beginner Stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emma580

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
hi there, im a newbie and I've just finished cycling a Rekord 700 (70 litres) which took a long time because I was confused at first and had to start again!
Basically I just want a few groups of small easy to care for fish since I'm new to the hobby. I went and got 5 neon tetras from my LFS and have reserved another 3 of the ones they had that weren't ready to sell yet. Was just wondering what else you would suggest and how many of them? I love love love the Harlequin Rasboras I saw when I got the neons btw! 

emma580 said:
hi there, im a newbie and I've just finished cycling a Rekord 700 (70 litres) which took a long time because I was confused at first and had to start again!
Basically I just want a few groups of small easy to care for fish since I'm new to the hobby. I went and got 5 neon tetras from my LFS and have reserved another 3 of the ones they had that weren't ready to sell yet. Was just wondering what else you would suggest and how many of them? I love love love the Harlequin Rasboras I saw when I got the neons btw! 
Thanks
smile.png

Neons need a more established tank. They are a bit hard to take care of in an unestablished tank, established as in the bioload capacity is stable, the water flow, the etemp, the nitrates, and other factors, If I were you I would have gotten the harlequin rasboras. They do not need an established tank. they only need a cycled tank

I would like to mention Ember Tetra here, especially given your tank is smaller than 100L.

Terry.

PS- stick with this fish supplier, always refreshing to see shops using some sort of quarantine.
good.gif

I have looked at ember tetras and I do like the look of them just wasnt sure about them as i dont know anything about them!
Yeah I will, theyre a great little shop, i even heard them refuse to sell some marine fish to a woman who clearly didnt know anything about how to set up a tank for marine fish so that was good to see!

Guppies or mollies maybe? Love them.

Maybe a betta community tank?

You could also have a group of otos or a bristlenose pleco.

Harlies are great I love mine.

I also have that tank the 70 litre juwel.
you could probably manage a small school (maybe 6-7 of each) of both neons and harlies in there but with the length only being 60 cm long on your tank it would probably make more sense to just have one good size school of either neons or harlies as they are both mid to top swimmers and are active, so the more space the better.

The rekord 700 is a fairly tall tank so it's good  to stock from top to bottom , so I would decide on either harlies or neons and then look for mid to bottom dwelling fish to complete it.

Cherry barbs will also be good, mine stay mid to bottom mainly but will explore the whole tank

EllieJellyEllie said:
Guppies or mollies maybe? Love them.

Maybe a betta community tank?

You could also have a group of otos or a bristlenose pleco.

Otos and BN plecs need an established tank in order for them to feed off of the biofilm.

betta communities are ticking time bombs

Guppies and mollies may overrun it in the future.

Might I suggest ember rasboras, honey gouramis, apistos, cories to name a few

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back