beautiful guppies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi
i ‘m not sure if my guppies are extra pretty?
or am i like a bragging mom😉

Attachments

• EECC4D3C-20A2-420E-9315-058FC38CDF4C.jpeg
    EECC4D3C-20A2-420E-9315-058FC38CDF4C.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 36
  • E7F7C73A-6A77-42A8-9B1C-C823CB2DF389.jpeg
    E7F7C73A-6A77-42A8-9B1C-C823CB2DF389.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 9220F2A2-E219-4046-BEAA-841565C3BA74.jpeg
    9220F2A2-E219-4046-BEAA-841565C3BA74.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 34
  • E29FCF79-76CD-4981-984E-5D02B6243B28.jpeg
    E29FCF79-76CD-4981-984E-5D02B6243B28.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 955C33BB-5987-4CC8-98E9-08F78DDE690D.jpeg
    955C33BB-5987-4CC8-98E9-08F78DDE690D.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 42
A bit of both :)

Most of the males (apart from the red one) are Endler's Livebearer x with guppies. They produce the orange, blue and black on the body with the smaller tail. However, the fish are much sturdier and have fewer health issues than pure guppies.

The short tailed one I find most interesting. They're all guppies, btw. So, no endler hybrids. The short tailed one is a wild type guppy. The broad doublesword guppy is also a normal guppy.
wow- a wild type guppy? my guppies came from a neighbor, Petco and online.
thanks!

A bit of both :)

Most of the males (apart from the red one) are Endler's Livebearer x with guppies. They produce the orange, blue and black on the body with the smaller tail. However, the fish are much sturdier and have fewer health issues than pure guppies.
thanks- i don’t understand that there are more than one type of pet guppies. no grandkids so have to brag about guppies 😉😕

sturdier and good at making baby guppies 🙃

wow- a wild type guppy? my guppies came from a neighbor, Petco and online.
thanks!
Wild type guppies are guppies that came from fancy guppies but have reverted to wild type. So, it's not a wild guppy but a wild type.

The short tailed one I find most interesting. They're all guppies, btw. So, no endler hybrids. The short tailed one is a wild type guppy. The broad doublesword guppy is also a normal guppy.
I thought the Endler's had the orange line and black dots?

What's the difference between an Endler and wild colour form of the guppy?

I thought the Endler's had the orange line and black dots?

What's the difference between an Endler and wild colour form of the guppy?
How the black markings are placed, makes them guppy traits. The orange line on both sides occur in both guppies and endlers, depending on the strain we're talking about.
And not all wild endlers have orange, red or black markings. Most people are only familiar with the black bar endler. But there are way more endler varieties in the wild.
Take a look at the sections Livebearer1 and Livebearer2 on my website. Overthere, you'll see the differences. There are a lot of people who mix up endlers with wild guppies and wild type guppies.

Most wild endlers are more slender than wild guppies. But just know that there are guppy populations that are also slender. But that's the minority. And you should also be aware that pure endlers are called Poecilia wingei and wild guppies can be determined as being Poecilia reticulata (most guppy populations), or Poecilia obscura (Oropuche guppy) and Poecilia kempkesi. So, not all wild guppy populations are Poecilia reticulata.
The main difference between Poecilia wingei, Poecilia reticulata, Poecilia obscura and Poecilia kempkesi is there DNA. But because the sexual organs of all three species are compatible with another, they're able to crossbreed and have fertile offspring because they're close related.
A lot of people say that the main difference between a wild guppy and an endler is that the endler males have more metallic colors. But metallic colors "can" also appear on wild guppies, depending on the location in the wild where they're found. It's better said that pure male endlers "have always" metallic colors in comparison to most male wild guppies.

Micropoecilia species such as Picta, Parae, Minima, Branneri or orangline (nowadays categorized as being a Poecilia reticulata but still has the Micropoecilia shape) are subspecies. And these subspecies can be crossed with each guppy species there is and have fertile offspring.

Endlers and guppies can be crossbred with mollies and limias. But the offspring will be infertile. For they are not that close related, which makes the fertility significantly less till really zero. But the fact that they can crossbreed is simply because their sexual organs are compatible. Nothing more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back