Barbs with my tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lizibee

Reaction score
Juts got a small tank 3 months ago and started with 5 neon tetra and then added some other tetras. All was well until I introduced 4 cherry barbs at 2 months after everything was going well. Now the barbs are one by one lying on their sides on the bottom and dying. What did I do wrong. I have checked the temperature and water any other ideas??? thanks lizibee :unsure:

What size tank and exactly how many fish do you have? Have you tested for ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite? They are more critical than temp or pH.

I don't know what this cycling thing is all about. Three weeks ago I got a fishtank. I left the filter running for two days, I put in gravel from lowes, which I had to wash consistently, a plant, a goldfish, and rosy reds. Ammonia levels became "mind blowing high",
I still left the fish alone. After two days, some of the rosyes died, apparently from some sort of infection, and water became clear.
Everything is normal, stabilized. Is cool. Everywhere I read it says that it takes weeks for an aquarium to clear up, but mine was like, 5 days-- done. Did the plant help? or what caused this?

:huh:

Lizibee,
how many barbs did u have? if the tetras are doing oki I dont know why your barbs wouldnt be, sometimes if they dont have an adequate amount of friends e.g their own species to hang out with it could make a difference,some fish do okion their own, but some need to be part of a school, the problem seems quite odd, check all your stats of your tank, e.g PH,nitrate,ammonia,temp,and space? if you have a small tank and not enough aeration they could be suffocating..
Goodluck!

:thumbs:

Starry^

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back