Bamboo shrimp aka wood shrimp

ger87410

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How long does it take after the molt for the shell to harden? 1 of my bamboo shrimp molted right in front of my eyes this morning. He got his skin caught real good on one of the fake plants then went forward and slipped out of his shell. Know I wanna know how long I have to closely monitor this guy before I know he'll be alright. Thanx guys.

usually for the first 24 hours, though I am not certain of this. I don't watch my shrimp after a molt (I also have a Wood Shrimp). He usually hides somewhere until he's ready to "greet the world".

\Dan

My amano shrimp just hide behind the filter until there done regenerating their exoskeleton then they continue as normal cleanin up after those dirty fishes.

Its a good idea not to change the water or do anything else to disturb them after they have shed for 24-48 hours because they are vulnerable to attack from filthy fish! (Yes I do have a problem with fish... They suck and I leave them to my girlfriend)
Stick to your inverts, they clean up, they look cool doing it and they are more interesting than fish IMHO.
Besides bottom feeders who help with the cleaning so I'll let them off!

Makes me mad that the plecs, corys and inverts do the cleaning but those pesky gourami get all the Oooooo's! :angry:

Please let us know how long it took for your shrimp to become active again. My shrimp behaves much like FishDan's; he disappears during the molting process and returns later. I'm curious to know how much of his time 'missing' is attributed to the molting process.

Here's what happened during the molt. Keep in mind I have brackish which is supose to help the molt. Friday I watched it molt, and not knowing if they eat their molt, and the fact I needed to go to work soon made me decide to take it out. :sick: Immediately after the molt I noticed it turn a pink color. I went to work and came home for lunch to find the shrimp blending in almost perfectly w/ the gravel and some plants it was hiding in. I went back to work and came home to find it on some wood eating. It had some of it's color back and could almost blend in perfectly. Saturday I noticed it out and eating more then Friday. Today is Sunday and everything appears back to normal. :hooray::band::kana: So I think that in brackish water the molt takes about 24-48 hours. The first few 10 hours after the molt are probably the most critical I think. During the molting I checked the water quality and it was perfect. Anything else you would like to know?

Most reactions

Back