Balloon Molly

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Chaylin

Reaction score
Balloon Molly Questions:

I currently have a male and female balloon molly. If I wanted to breed them, Would I be able to put them in a net breeder and they would breed? Also, should I get another female for my male or is he just fine w/ one?

Guppy Questions:
As you all know, or most of you, My guppy had some fry friday. I have a few questions on them as this is my first time taking care of fry.
First of all, How long should I wait until I can release them out of the net breeder so they can swim w/ my other fish?
How long will it be before my female guppy has another batch of fry?
What else could I feed my fry besides fish flakes?
How long until the fry start getting color and how long till you can tell wheter they are male or female?

Man, I know theres somthing else I wanted to ask but I can't remember what. I guess i'll just post it when it comes to mind :)

~Chelsea

Hello . . .

As far as the Mollies go, you'll want to have at least one or two more females in the tank. If you just have a 1:1 male to female ratio, the male may "breed" the female to death. By giving him "other" options, this will allow the female you currently have a "break" of sorts.

I wouldn't advise putting the adults in a "net breeder", Mollies are very susceptible to stress. The stress of being in such a small space for an extended period of time would stress them out leaving them vulnerable to disease. You really should allow your female room to swim away from the male and hide if she so chooses.

Hope this helps! :)

Vosklady, hi, I always fed my guppy fry brine shrimp, just be careful, a little does a lot! Mine were pretty big at 12 weeks and if the tetras didn't chase them I would have put them in the community tank then. :D

I think everythings been covered can't believe I didn't notice this post until now!! :X :X

The fry will eat brine shrimp, daphnia, and "green water" (http://www.petfish.net/infu.htm) Other ideas are availible here:
http://www.petfish.net/fryfoo.htm

The female should be preggie again quite quickly, so it'll take about a month. You can probably release the fry after a week or two, as long as they are too big for the adults to eat. About a quarter inch long is good. Dont wait too long, keeping them in their stunts thier growth and denies them exercise. Fry that grow in large tanks always look much more healthy and strong than those hat grow in small tanks or traps.

Most reactions

Back