Bala Shark

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
post-22-1057229562.jpg

Scientific name: Balantiocheilus melanopterus

Common names: Bala shark, Silver shark, Tricolor Shark.

Family: Cyprinidae

Origin: Southeast Asia

Maximum size:13"

Care: The large adult size means that this fish should be kept in nothing less than a 75 gallon tank though larger is prefferable as the fish is a schooling species that needs to be kept in groups of at least 3. Bala sharks are not fussy of water parameters providing the water is clean and not overly hard or high in pH, the temperature should be kept between 22 and 28 celcius. A sand or small gravel substrate is preffered as the fish will spend a lot of time searching the substrate for food, avoid sharp decor as the fish is skittish and will often damage its self if frightened, tall plants along the back and sides of the tank will help to keep the fish calm. A tight well fitting lid is essential as the fish is a jumper and will attempt to leave the aquarium.

Feeding:Small live and frozen foods like bloodworm and daphnia are best though flakes and pellets will also be taken, some soft leaved plants may be nibbled on.

Sexing: Females are larger and more full bellied

Breeding: This fish has not been bred in captivity without the aid of hormone injections.

Notes: Large specimins have a high oxygen requirement so special care must be taken during the summer months to prevent the tank from over heating. During hot weather the use of a large airstone connected to a powerful air pump is recomended.

Just wanted to add : This fish is very scared of fast movement, such as someone walking past the tank - does not do well with fast moving fish.

Quite likes cucumber, and makes a loud clicking noise when eating the cucumber!

Do not put in a noisy environment, when they get scared they jump against the hood, of of mine seemed to have temporary swim bladder problems because of this.

Here are mine.  2 of them are new to the tank and they do jump about a little a bash into the glass.  More so when you pass the tank at night when the lights are off.  I just hope they settle a little before they hurt themselves:

bala2.jpg

Bala.jpg

B109AF32-2B83-4119-A6F2-D6E95C866AAC-837-00000149F7208313.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back