Baking Soda To Diy Co2.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Jer-

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi

is there anyone on this forum who adds baking soda to their DIY CO2 units??

i would like to know if it really does help...

I add baking soda to my mix as my water is pretty soft. The soda stops the mix becoming too acidic so the yeast lasts a tad longer.(There is a scientific way of putting it but its far too early for me lol)

Make sure you get baking soda and not baking powder, you are looking for bicarbonate of soda.

How much do you add to your DIY CO2?

I am using nutrifin reactors with the DIY mix but havent added bicarb yet...

Does anyone know how much bicarb to add? when my fishless cycle is over I will be adding RO water to soften things down a bit. I dont want to upset things as my KH will be about 4 degrees. Is it essential that I add bicarb to my Nutrifin CO2 reactors with DIY mix? :/

Does anyone know how much bicarb to add? when my fishless cycle is over I will be adding RO water to soften things down a bit. I dont want to upset things as my KH will be about 4 degrees. Is it essential that I add bicarb to my Nutrifin CO2 reactors with DIY mix? :/

The recipe I got from Pseud is for 1tsp yeast, 2 cups sugar, 4 tsp baking soda and water. This recipe is for use in a 2 liter soda bottle.

A second recipe I have seen is 3/4 cup sugar, 6 cups water 1 tsp yeast. This one didn't call for baking soda, but I did add a tsp. I have both mixes running now, and they seem virtually the same. Maybe Pseud's will last longer because there is more sugar. This is my first batch and it has been running 6 days now.

Most reactions

Back