Badis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

STEVIE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
These are some pics of my little badis.Especially for Lucky62.Thanks again for the advice. :good:
I bought 5 and they have settled in no problem.Sorry if the pics are abit blurred.It's because they won't keep still and are only babies,about 1cm max.
30741badis_001.jpg

30741badis_002.jpg

30741badis_003.jpg

I live in Kent... and I have never seen them in my Local aquatics shops... Was it difficult for you to find them... or are you just lucky... :rolleyes:

To be honest i've never seen them offered for sale before either.
Even though they are babies and really titchy the really bright colours caught my eye.They weren't very expensive so i bought a few.Perhaps i'll be able to breed them when they grow. :good:

they're scarlet badis, so they won't grow much :p a 2" scarlet badis would be astonishingly huge; expect them to stay around 1"-1.5" in length

Like Pica said , Stevie , they are scarlets [ male in the picture ] , sometimes refereed to as "Scarlet Badis" , but are actually Dario , a smaller cousin to Badis , barely making maybe an inch for males , less for females .

The pictures are fine :good: , small fish can be hard to get shots of , I have cherry shrimp too .

do you have less colorful ones ? [you may have both sexes]

I've read the like to breed in [ dense ] java moss and not in caves like Badis .

I live in Kent... and I have never seen them in my Local aquatics shops... Was it difficult for you to find them... or are you just lucky... :rolleyes:

Which part of Kent are you in?

If you're in North Kent and fancy a drive, the Pets at Home in Crayford (SE London, Dartford way) had Scarlet Badis in last time I visited :good:

i've kept badis although not your one, i had the badis badis. they used to change color really stark and quickly and swim in tiny movements and examine everything really closely. they were a bit hard to feed, prefering live foods but did eventually take frozen bloodworm. i thought they were a brilliant little fish

do you have less colorful ones ? [you may have both sexes]

I've 2 really bright ones that are pictured.These two don't fight but spead their fins out at each other and become even more intensely coloured.The others are the same size but less colourful.They all get on together.If i get a pic can you sex one for me or have a guess if they may be females?

What are you feeding them on?

They won't eat flakes, and bloodworms are too big at the moment.
I bought a microworm starter off a guy on ebay for a quid and within a week had trillions of the tiny blighters. :lol: They love these and they breed so fast there's always millions of them to feed.They share the tank with cherry and tiger shrimps plus a few blue eyed rainbows who also scoff microworms.

We have Badis in my local store, not the red ones though :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back