Badger's Sumatran Rice Paddy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Well, that won't be what kept the rice from sprouting...might be the problem with the clover fern but I doubt it.

5-4-5 is a fairly standard light timing for low-tech tanks. Diane Walstad (peace be upon her) recommends it so the CO2 can recharge, which gives the vascular plants an advantage over algae. It isn't as unnatural as it sounds at first. It simulates a mid-day rain storm, which is fairly standard in a lot of tropical areas. I might try putting it on a straight 12 hour cycle and see if it makes a difference to the ferns.
I would recommend trying to keep it on for a solid amount of time. 12 hours would be a good start.

Crypts are starting to show some new growth, finally. Mosses are OK; cystalwort and paddy herb still look great. No change from the clover fern. Might have to pilfer some from the Badgeling's tank if it doesn't convert to its underwater form soon. Lots of invert stuff going on. The bottom is crawling with copepods. Through a magnifying glass, it's a bit scary. ha ha

The paddy herb might be my new favorite aquarium plant.

I have a live food tank going too, in a little 5g. Copepods, seed shrimp, and black worms stocked. Daphnia coming soon.

Got new rice seed. Soaked in water overnight. Planted a few straight in the aquarium; the rest in damp soil. We'll see how it goes. Crypts are really starting to grow. The two pond snails are reproducing at a rather alarming rate. Seed shrimp are cute. Black worms less so.

So, I don't want to add fish to this tank until the rice is growing, since that's what is providing most of the visual and habitat structure. I had no idea it was so hard getting this stuff to actually grow. Must be the variety I'm using. If it were really this hard, most of the population of Asia would be starving.

Anyway. One rice seed starting to show signs of life...stay tuned...

I probably asked before but cant remember and can't be bothered re-reading this, what rice are you using?
If you are using white rice, it probably won't grow. You want brown, black or red rice or another type of rice with its husk still on.

Wow Tom, sorry about the plant issues. The tank background looks great though, love the bricks! Hope the rice and clover fern pick up. Lol on all the copepods. Hope the bettas love the seed shrimp, they can get out of hand fast. Also the sulawesi snails have a habit of being plant eaters, they left my crypts and corkscrew vals alone but did munch on over a dozen of my pogostemon helferi until there was none left :/

Love your fish selection, hope you can find the shadowcats.

Good to know on the chopstick snails. The pet store is getting me a couple of rabbit snails, which I think will quickly outgrow a 10g tank, but we'll see how they do.

@Colin_T The rice is black madras from a seed store. I think I need to try something different.

oooooh, TWS has shadow cats available again! I probably won't get them because they're $6 each, I'm fairly broke right now, and I'm afraid they'd eat eggs and fry...but that is very, very tempting.

The rice is black madras from a seed store. I think I need to try something different.
Have a look on your Department of Agriculture's website and see if they have anything about growing rice.

Normally you just sprinkle it over some potting mix, wet it and cover it with clear plastic until it sprouts, then remove the cover and watch it grow.

Have a look on your Department of Agriculture's website and see if they have anything about growing rice.

Normally you just sprinkle it over some potting mix, wet it and cover it with clear plastic until it sprouts, then remove the cover and watch it grow.
Yeah. I think this seed is just no good. It is sprouting, but it doesn't look vigorous. I think I'll call the local geenhouse and see what they recommend.

Crypts are starting to show some new growth, finally. Mosses are OK; cystalwort and paddy herb still look great. No change from the clover fern. Might have to pilfer some from the Badgeling's tank if it doesn't convert to its underwater form soon. Lots of invert stuff going on. The bottom is crawling with copepods. Through a magnifying glass, it's a bit scary. ha ha

The paddy herb might be my new favorite aquarium plant.

I have a live food tank going too, in a little 5g. Copepods, seed shrimp, and black worms stocked. Daphnia coming soon.
Hey badger, it's been a while since I've been on the forum do you have a recent pic the tank and where did you get your inverts from or did they just show up with your plantings?

Hey badger, it's been a while since I've been on the forum do you have a recent pic the tank and where did you get your inverts from or did they just show up with your plantings?
I'll try to get some vid one of these days. I really like the way it looks, but it isn't much of a rice paddy with no rice! Got a couple rabbit snails in at the pet store. I think they're going to get way too big, but I'll try a couple for now.

Inverts: I bought some seed shrimp and daphnia (wasn't patient enough to wait another two months for the ponds to thaw and catch my own!). The copepods and pond snails hitch-hiked on plants.

Ah ha...well I guess you won't be able to start your own wild rice company...LOL... I keep thinking about you and your set up, for a 40 gal breeder idea I have...something like my 18/55 conversion.
regards DanC

Ah ha...well I guess you won't be able to start your own wild rice company...LOL... I keep thinking about you and your set up, for a 40 gal breeder idea I have...something like my 18/55 conversion.
regards DanC
ha ha, yeah, I'm a failure at the rice industry. But that's all going to change once I get some decent seed. Riches and fame await.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back