Badger's 150g Rio Negro/Orinoco Flooded Rain Forest

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Probably the best online fish store

I ordered"weeping moss" from somebody who offered it at near half the price of others. I get it and it looks more like a Java moss. At least a dark green Java moss. We will see if it develops the Fir tree branching of weeping moss.

I ordered"weeping moss" from somebody who offered it at near half the price of others. I get it and it looks more like a Java moss. At least a dark green Java moss. We will see if it develops the Fir tree branching of weeping moss.
Lots of mosses look like java moss until they get established. I'm partial to Christmas moss myself, but in my tanks it often takes the better part of a year before it starts looking like anything other than a blob.

@Slaphppy7 I think they just got the marble hatchets in last week. They've started updating their stock list on Fridays. Their "email me when this fish is in stock" feature doesn't work worth diddly squat, though. They actually have everything in stock that I wanted, and I would have missed it if I hadn't randomly checked on Saturday.

Oh, how could I forget, I also ordered four royal farlowella (Sturisoma sp). Excited to try those. @Wills told me a while back that they're a little more durable than Farlowella sp., which I've had no luck with.
Yep should be much easier :) Farlowella often need a very specific biofilm in the aquarium which is possible but hard to predict. Surisoma are as easy as any other suckermouth :)

Wills

Love is in the air in the Rio Negro!
20220728_161922.jpg

20220728_161858.jpg

They laid their eggs on a structural piece of driftwood, right smack in the middle of the tank, so there's no way I can remove them or partition them off. So I'd say the chance of survival is fairly slight. But they're being really great parents so far, keeping everybody else away, so we'll see.

In other news, the ladies who work in the office told me that the customers love this tank even more than they loved the old rainbowfish community setup, and that's saying something! It's fun having a project that brings joy to people who probably really need it. (for those of you just tuning in, this tank is in a dentist's office on Main Street; I do all the work but they pay for everything)

I'm still struggling with some semi-fibrous, black gunk that keeps forming on the substrate. I strongly suspect some sort of cyanobacteria. I reduced the photoperiod by about 1.5 hours a couple weeks ago, and it seems to be gradually helping. I also planted a bunch more swords, which seems to finally be taking off. DIE, black crud!!! ☠️

Have you tried chemiclean for the cyano? I have had great luck with it in my brackish tank.

Have you tried chemiclean for the cyano? I have had great luck with it in my brackish tank.
I admitted defeat last spring and used Ultralife. It took two doses, but it worked and the blue-green slime hasn't come back. I'm really hoping to control this outbreak with just the light reduction, along with letting my floating plants proliferate, since it only seems to be happening in the brighter areas of the tank.

Is that a sturisoma barbatum?

...though I must admit, the markings look a bit more like barbatum. Or maybe panamensis? Hard to say. TWS says they were aureus.

T
though I must admit, the markings look a bit more like barbatum. Or maybe panamensis? Hard to say. TWS says they were aureus.
Very nice, which ever species...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back