Badger's 150g Rio Negro/Orinoco Flooded Rain Forest

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The blue-green algae in this tank is really getting me down. It is now spreading into the darker sections of the tank, spreading across the leaves (especially the java ferns), substrate, and driftwood. I put in a powerhead to increase water movement; I've been cleaning the sand surface and manually scrubbing off as much as I can once a week, along with 50% water changes once a week, too. This stuff just won't go away.

All the usual culprits aren't there: No detectable ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite; phosphates <.5 ppm. So pollution/excessive nutrients aren't the problem. Thinking about giving it the erythromycin treatment. I HATE the idea of medicating my tank, but I've got to knock this stuff back and nothing else is working. Any ideas?

So, after doing a bit more reading...could it be that the problem is my extremely low nitrates? I've never had a detectable level of nitrates in this tank; stocking is pretty low. Maybe I need to feed more and/or increase fish load? I always thought having low nitrates was a good problem to have. :lol: But I'm reading that sometimes low trates can cause BGA. I have a huge population of floating frogbit, and I'm cleaning out multiple handfulls of the stuff every other week or so. I suspect that's why my nitrates are zero. So many variables in the equation...

So...I'm thinking about trying some Ultralife, which seems to be some sort of enzyme that kills this stuff. Then increasing my fish load to get nitrates up into the detectable range so maybe the plants can outcompete this stuff.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So, after doing a bit more reading...could it be that the problem is my extremely low nitrates? I've never had a detectable level of nitrates in this tank; stocking is pretty low. Maybe I need to feed more and/or increase fish load? I always thought having low nitrates was a good problem to have. :lol: But I'm reading that sometimes low trates can cause BGA. I have a huge population of floating frogbit, and I'm cleaning out multiple handfulls of the stuff every other week or so. I suspect that's why my nitrates are zero. So many variables in the equation...
When I had BGA I had plenty of nitrates but that's not to say it can't be the issue, maybe in terms of balance with the other nutrients? @StevenF may understand how it works.
How long have you had the BGA? Mine disappeared after about 8 months for no discernible reason.

We've got angelfish eggs! Woo hoo! On an amazon sword leaf. Never had this happen before. Mom and dad are on guard and blowing water out their mouths on the eggs. What kind of chance will the little guys have if I leave them in the tank?

Yeah, no particularly predatory fish...except the other three angelfish. Might try putting in a divider after they hatch, if I can find one that fits.

Just get a piece of glass cut to size and slide it down into the base. A rock on each side and it will be fine
I'm going to have to use a screen divider, as the mom laid her eggs on a leaf almost directly under the filter intake. (She's new at this...) Besides, with the problems I've had with BGA in this tank, I don't want to impede the water flow too much.

I'm going to have to use a screen divider, as the mom laid her eggs on a leaf almost directly under the filter intake. (She's new at this...) Besides, with the problems I've had with BGA in this tank, I don't want to impede the water flow too much.
The more plants you have the less algae. ;)

Funny thing about that, actually. I just put in a bunch of new swords, and went over yesterday to add some fert tabs to give them a head start. That's when I discovered the eggs. Guess the ferts will have to wait.

Had to leave town for a couple days. Eggs are gone; no wrigglers in sight but the parents are still guarding their side of the tank against all comers, so I'm fairly hopeful that they're still there somewhere. It's possible they got sucked into the filter.

The divider should be in tomorrow. Should I go ahead and put it in and hope for the best?

Had to leave town for a couple days. Eggs are gone; no wrigglers in sight but the parents are still guarding their side of the tank against all comers, so I'm fairly hopeful that they're still there somewhere. It's possible they got sucked into the filter.

The divider should be in tomorrow. Should I go ahead and put it in and hope for the best?
Put the divider in because even if this lot have gone they will spawn again and then you are prepared, have you looked closely on the underside of the leaf, they sometimes hang there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back