Bacterial Infections Suck

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vancouver

- l l a m a s -
Reaction score
So within about 48 hours, my favorite gold severum went from being totally normal, to dead.

2 days ago I noticed it hiding, and it had some finnage missing. I assumed that it was in a fight with my chocolate cichlid, so I left it in the tank, thinking it was just sulking.

Yesterday, it was on it's side, fins look even worse, so I decided to take it out.

Turns out, it's stomach is quite red.. I would guess a bacterial infection.. Anyways, it died overnight..

This is only the 2nd time I've seen one of my fish deteriorate so quickly.

My question is - how can I avoid these horrible bacterial infections?

It's pretty obvious to me that they cannot be treated, so how can I avoid them in the first place?

Yep.. definitely sounds like it..

This would be the 2nd time I've had a fish die from that.

''Caused by dirty water''.. OH I HATE SEEING THAT.

Totally my fault I guess.. didn't think I was being lazy on the water changes, but I guess 2 weeks was too long.

OH what a bummer.. that fish had come a long way. Bought it when it was like 1'' long.. was about 6'' when it died.

Usually they put the line "caused by dirty water" in to refer to poor water quality, which is seen with a lot of fish illnesses. Consider how many newbies come here with dramatically over stocked, uncycled tanks. Its a recipe for disaster. Its not the overcrowding that kills the fish, its the illnesses that spring up, from a weakened immune system due to the stress of the bad water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back