Bacteria on new wood in new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Just keep in mind that neither soaking nor boiling water will have much if any effect on fungus within the wood. You would have to boil the wood so much to kill internal bacteria/fungus that the wood would barely hold together.
Yes I will Byron. I am going to buy just two 'test' fish, Rummynose Tetra, to make sure the tank is safe. If they're ok in a few days I will buy the rest of the Rummys. I think this is a more cautious way to go than going straight in with the discus, or a school of Tetras. I will update you to let you know the outcome.

Cloudy water seems to be another component of the toxic fungus, so keep an eye on the clarity of the water. New tanks of course always have some haze, but this along with the respiration may clue you in. The other thing is how long this might play out, and I've no idea.

The water in my tank is clear. I'll let you know how it goes Byron. Thanks for your interest.

Hi All. I am still having problems with my new tank.
History:
Set up new 300 litre tank. Fishless cycle using Aqua Pure balls to speed cycle up.
Planted tank and also added azea root/spider wood. After few days wood developed white fungus. (See previously posted photo) smelt not so good when I took it out and wiped it down with a paper towel. Most said fuzz on wood is harmless. Some said it killed their fish.

Situation now:
I put in two rummy nose tetra to test if all was ok with wood on Sunday evening. By Wed am fish had stayed at top of tank but we're swimming ok. I added another 14 same species on Wed afternoon. By bedtime two fish were dead. This morning another. The fish are swimming about at the top of the tank. I will post a video later. I don't know what to do. Were fish stressed in transit? Or affected by tank ? I don't know whether to see what happens or set up an emergency tank???
The water parameters are good. Tested with Tetra strips and API Master test kit. Any suggestions please. I am so despondent at the thought of losing more fish or perhaps having to strip the tank. Suggestions welcomed.

Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and post the numbers here. I am concerned that the tank may not be cycled. Did you add ammonia and test daily through the cycling process?
If the cycle is completed correctly and the wood is still in, remove it and change as much water as you possibly can.

First, always give us test numbers. We have no way of knowing what "parameters are good" might actually mean without the actual numbers. BTW, parameters refers to GH, KH, pH and temperature; "conditions" is a better term for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate which is what you likely mean here. But we need the numbers please.

While waiting for confirmation, if the conditions show no ammonia or nitrite, and very low or no nitrate, the issue is almost certainly the wood fungus. Remove the wood immediately and do a massive water change, down to an inch above the substrate if fish are still alive in this tank, using only a conditioner. If fish are not in this tank, remove the wood and drain the tank completely. Rinse the substrate in bucket under the tap, same with filter media. This toxin gets into everything, I had it.

Test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and post the numbers here. I am concerned that the tank may not be cycled. Did you add ammonia and test daily through the cycling process?
If the cycle is completed correctly and the wood is still in, remove it and change as much water as you possibly can.

Hello Naughts and Byron.
Thank you both so much for replying. I have just got home and about to take out wood and do a water change.
Today (API Master Test Kit)
the tank conditions are:
pH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
The water is clear.

Yesterday: (Tetra 6 in 1 Test strip)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
GH 8
KH 3
PH 6.8
Cl2 0
I used Pure Aquarium balls to begin and accelerate the cycle and have found them fine in the past. I couldn't check the conditions daily because I became ill with a bad viral infection. I did check the conditions before I put the fish in for several days and they were stable. From setting it up to putting in fish was at least three weeks. More than the product info suggests which is a couple of days.

First, always give us test numbers. We have no way of knowing what "parameters are good" might actually mean without the actual numbers. BTW, parameters refers to GH, KH, pH and temperature; "conditions" is a better term for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate which is what you likely mean here. But we need the numbers please.

While waiting for confirmation, if the conditions show no ammonia or nitrite, and very low or no nitrate, the issue is almost certainly the wood fungus. Remove the wood immediately and do a massive water change, down to an inch above the substrate if fish are still alive in this tank, using only a conditioner. If fish are not in this tank, remove the wood and drain the tank completely. Rinse the substrate in bucket under the tap, same with filter media. This toxin gets into everything, I had it.

Hi Byron Thanks for your help. I've posted current details on Naughts post. Fish are still in tank and am in process of taking water out.

OK, the numbers do not suggest any cycling issues. And, checking back, two or three or even ten small tetras in a 300 liter (70-some gallon) tank, with the bio stuff and plants, will never cause "cycling" issues. So this is the wood fungus.

Hello Byron I've got the spider wood and the water out. Two more dead fish. I am just filling the tank back up. I've got a resin ornament in there (it looks like a rock.) Do I need to remove it?

l have also thought do I clean the filter sponges or leave them alone? I know they are usually rinsed with tank water. I could take water from my community tank to rinse if this water is not ok.

Hello Byron I've got the spider wood and the water out. Two more dead fish. I am just filling the tank back up. I've got a resin ornament in there (it looks like a rock.) Do I need to remove it?

Not permanently, but I would give it a thorough scruyb under the tap (hot water) with a stiff brush (no soaps, cleansers, etc).

l have also thought do I clean the filter sponges or leave them alone? I know they are usually rinsed with tank water. I could take water from my community tank to rinse if this water is not ok.

These also I would rinse thoroughly under the tap. There is no need to rinse filters in tank water once the aquarium is established, and if live plants are in it. I rinse mine every water change (weekly) under the tap and have done for 30 years.

Not permanently, but I would give it a thorough scruyb under the tap (hot water) with a stiff brush (no soaps, cleansers, etc).

Thank you so much for your help Byron. I really genuinely mean it. I am sat watching the fish swim about. Without yours and Naughts advice I probably would have lost all the fish. I am stunned that this wood had caused such a problem. It wasn't cheap too (for a lump of wood.)

These also I would rinse thoroughly under the tap. There is no need to rinse filters in tank water once the aquarium is established, and if live plants are in it. I rinse mine every water change (weekly) under the tap and have done for 30 years.

You are most welcome. Had I not myself experienced this problem, I might not ever have considered it. Most think fungus is safe, and that is where it ends, but as I've indicated it depends upon the specific species and some are deadly toxic. I was not happy chucking out the wood I bought either, but it became part of the back garden when I realized the issue. :fish:

You are most welcome. Had I not myself experienced this problem, I might not ever have considered it. Most think fungus is safe, and that is where it ends, but as I've indicated it depends upon the specific species and some are deadly toxic. I was not happy chucking out the wood I bought either, but it became part of the back garden when I realized the issue. :fish:
By far the majority of information on the internet was saying fungus on wood was safe. It was very few who said they'd had problems, but all of those were fish fatalities. We have both been very unlucky. The wood looked really good in the tank too. But I won't be looking to replace it in a hurry. Thanks again.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back