Bacteria Bloom?

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
Is it possible to have a bacteria bloom with a new tank, even if mature filter media was added?

My new 29 gallon has been up and running all night, and this morning I transferred everything over from my other tank...i.e. fish and mature filter media.

When I look at my tank straight on it seems pretty darn clear, but when I look through the tank the long way, or straight down from the top, the water seems a little murky?

Could this be a possible bacteria bloom...even with Autotrophic bacteria present in the tank?

Thanks
-FHM
 
yes, the bacteria need to respond to the ammount of ammonia/nitrite they need to convert, however this could be down to dirty substrate and will clear with water changes
 
yes, the bacteria need to respond to the ammount of ammonia/nitrite they need to convert, however this could be down to dirty substrate and will clear with water changes
Okay, thanks!

Would filter floss help catch the fine particles as well?

-FHM
 
yea, i use them- i find it gives a nice polish to the water- how much did you wash the substrate- enough?
 
yea, i use them- i find it gives a nice polish to the water- how much did you wash the substrate- enough?
I actually got this moon sand...looks really neat!

I did not really know how to wash it so I put it in my tank right away. I turned my filter on with just the foam insert in to catch some larger particles.

Then I did about a 20% water change, filled the tank back up, and repeated that process over and over...many of times.

But since I did not properly wash it, as I know how to know after wards, lol, I think that is what it might be.

Will filter floss take care of it?

And, if I don't get filter floss, will it eventually clear after a while by doing a lot of water changes?

Thanks again!
-FHM
 
yea, its just the dirty substrate then- get fine filter floss, do a couple of water changes during the week and it shoudl clear up soon- within 2 weeks from now
 
looks nice, i love the black, it will really make the fishes colour stand out

good luck
 
yea, its just the dirty substrate then- get fine filter floss, do a couple of water changes during the week and it shoudl clear up soon- within 2 weeks from now
Okay...will do.

Thanks again!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top