Back Into The Game

saltynay

Patron
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
2,514
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Singapore
heya,

I use to be a very passionate aquarist and have since fell out of the game as such, I have a pond which has been my main fishy passion over the last 3 years have a stock of 39 goldies in there of varying species and hybrids. I started off with 10 with 5 pairs of each species I could get my hands on and they have flourished.

I have setup my small tank (350x160x170 LxWxD in mm) 4-5 weeks ago so its nicely matured, with the thought of putting some goldies in there but they all seem a bit boring now, although I quite like the black moors. I am looking for a pair or single fish, tropical preferably to stick in there with some live plants. I do have a larger tank approx 46 gallon in the basement but don't have anywhere to place it atm, but the pair/individual kept may get an upgrade in 6 months if I can find the space.

I want something in a word cool looked into Electric Blue Johanni, Piranha's, glo-fish and rainbow sharks so far but none of them seem to be suitable for such a small tank. can you please give me some ideas to bounce around I will ofcourse carry on my research myself but would greatly appreciate some hints.

Perhaps a pair of Microgeophagus ramirezi
 
I love black moors too :) unfortunately, that tank is going to be too small in my opinion.

As for tropical... I don't have much good advice lol, cos i've been mainly coldwater so far, but how abut a Betta? A male would love it in there with some live plants, and he'd make a stunning centrepiece! You could get some shrimp too - my betta has shrimp in with him and they are fab :)

Hope you find a nice pair/group to go in your tank! :good:
 
heya,

I use to be a very passionate aquarist and have since fell out of the game as such, I have a pond which has been my main fishy passion over the last 3 years have a stock of 39 goldies in there of varying species and hybrids. I started off with 10 with 5 pairs of each species I could get my hands on and they have flourished.

I have setup my small tank (350x160x170 LxWxD in mm) 4-5 weeks ago so its nicely matured, with the thought of putting some goldies in there but they all seem a bit boring now, although I quite like the black moors. I am looking for a pair or single fish, tropical preferably to stick in there with some live plants. I do have a larger tank approx 46 gallon in the basement but don't have anywhere to place it atm, but the pair/individual kept may get an upgrade in 6 months if I can find the space.

I want something in a word cool looked into Electric Blue Johanni, Piranha's, glo-fish and rainbow sharks so far but none of them seem to be suitable for such a small tank. can you please give me some ideas to bounce around I will ofcourse carry on my research myself but would greatly appreciate some hints.

Perhaps a pair of Microgeophagus ramirezi


its way too small for gold fish and rams, have you considered a dwarf puffer?

and how did you mature the filter?
 
I left the filter sponges in my pond for two weeks, then put them in the tank and let the filter run, I then added a small amount of flake food and left for 3 weeks today, so the filter is matured enough to start thinking about additions imo. I am leaning towards a dwarf puffer and some amano shrimp atm.

I have kept 2 1.5" orandos in this tank previously who lived for a year then I transferred them to the pond. I have also kept upwards of 20 goldfish fry in the tank until they had reached a suitable size to not be eaten by the rest I know 10L is a bit small but still larger then a goldy bowl :)
 
puffers will kill amanos

Apparently you need to trick them into not realeasing that the amano's are food and a good way to test is to get some glass shrimp and see if the puffers bother them, then add the amanos and hope for the best.
 
heya,

I use to be a very passionate aquarist and have since fell out of the game as such, I have a pond which has been my main fishy passion over the last 3 years have a stock of 39 goldies in there of varying species and hybrids. I started off with 10 with 5 pairs of each species I could get my hands on and they have flourished.

I have setup my small tank (350x160x170 LxWxD in mm) 4-5 weeks ago so its nicely matured, with the thought of putting some goldies in there but they all seem a bit boring now, although I quite like the black moors. I am looking for a pair or single fish, tropical preferably to stick in there with some live plants. I do have a larger tank approx 46 gallon in the basement but don't have anywhere to place it atm, but the pair/individual kept may get an upgrade in 6 months if I can find the space.

I want something in a word cool looked into Electric Blue Johanni, Piranha's, glo-fish and rainbow sharks so far but none of them seem to be suitable for such a small tank. can you please give me some ideas to bounce around I will ofcourse carry on my research myself but would greatly appreciate some hints.

Perhaps a pair of Microgeophagus ramirezi


Heres the plan
1 Dwarf puffer fish
2 ebdlers livebearers males
2 rainbow shrimp

plants
echinodorus tennellus
echinodorus rubin
Java moss
 
Hmm, a female betta if you are not going to take the otos. Or, perhaps another small gourami, or maybe some livebearer, such as a female platy. Another pretty main fish would be perhaps rams (depending on the size of your aquarium).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top