Baby Saltwater Shrimp Food?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bugdozer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a food suitable for baby saltwater shrimp larvae? I have had suggestions of Liquizell, crushed spirulina and infusoria (though I don't know what infusoria is.) Can anyone advise?

The size of the larvae makes a big difference to what you can feed them. If this is a type of Lysmata larvae, then newly hatched live brine shrimp are worth trying, but you can try dead zooplankton or other plankton-sized mashed up marine foods if you are willing to do a lot of cleaning out uneaten food that sinks to the bottom when the larvae fail to bump into it or just aren't interested. If you are serious about trying to raise shrimp, have a look at the book "How to Raise & Train Your Peppermint Shrimp" by April Kirkendoll. Shrimp larvae require an incredible amount of time and a special setup to handle effectively. I gave it a try and had neither the spare time nor space required to do it successfully.

They're Amano shrimp larvae. Although the adults live in fresh water, the babies live in a salt environment.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back