Baby oscar and its surroundings

zephyr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello pplz....im new to the fish hobby :rolleyes: and i was just wondering a few new questions relating to a baby oscar....

i have a 200L tank and im planning to buy a single baby oscar... :thumbs:

What are some small-medium sized fish that can live with the baby oscar without it being eaten?

if it were some tiny species, wot type of plants is good as a hiding place?

i really like pictus catfishes. am i able to add the species to the tank?

what areas of the tank do oscars roam around?

are oscars able to jump out of water?

(can i please have some photos of inspiration) :whistle:

:hi: to the forum. Introduce yourself in the newbie section.

All fish, even bettas with massive veil tails, can jump out of tanks.

200 L comes down to about 70 gallons. The minimum size listed here. ;)
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...cfm?pCatId=1090

Chances are anything small will be eaten in due time. You might want to consider other big fish that can handle aggression. :/

:hi:

with a baby oscar, they dont stay baby very long so i suggest only one oscar would be good in a tank that size. Maybe some tankmates for it could a trio of convicts or some firemouths or maybe evena sev, but what would look cool is a Pleco(catfish) to go with it. :nod: Im sure a pictus might work btu needs to be in threes. and since im to wealthy of knowladge of these caqtifhs i cant help you there. Also if you want plants and you want oscars, the plants wont last very long and the oscar likes to dig around alot and will move stuff to its liking and might even eat the plant.

HTH

btw nice to have another aussie here ;)

DD

depends on the personality. i got 2 firemouths, 1 that is a little baby and gets scared and hides from other fish. the second one is a bad ass who owns the tank and gets p!$$3d off and all mr tough guy and other fish.
and theyre the same size.

Doesnt matter how tought they are if you hit an oscar whos three times the size and has the same attitude they become food

size doesn't matter. Put a breeding convict up against anything and it will try and kill it and still scare an oscar away.

in some cases yes, in others no.

yes,because my friend has a 30 gal with a firemouth a convict and a pleco, the convict bullies the firemouth

no, because basicaly my convicts bow down to my firemouth. they even let him eat first now :blink: but when my cons bred the firemouth was like a brine shrimp to them.

so once again its to do with the fishes personality and what enviroment and what situation.

sorry to hi jack the thread :look:

DD

its ok....im learning from the replies...

is there such a group of small-medium size fish taht can defend themselves as a group against an oscar??? :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back