Axolotl Set-up

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
yeh but i think the point is that sand is easier to pass, but i guess it also lighter so its more likely they will ingest it. Thats why i have done slate.

put it this way if u ate a rock a bit smaller than ur fist u would have problems but if u ate a rock the size of a tooth u would be fine but sand 1s it is in water is heavyer and dosnt tend to be ingested

Ive been watching my axolotl closely over the last few days, she is so fun to watch (just discovered its not a boy after calling it diablo). She just loves swimming in the buubles. Thats all she does all day long, she is so cute. I put a bubble wall in but i was apprehensive because i read they dont like a current or too much movement in their water. But she loves it. When shes tired from swimming in it she rest her head in it. She ought to stop though cos she swallowed a load of air one time and was floating on the top till she burped it all out.

I spotted these aquatic wonders in my LFS a week or so ago now. I was quite intrigued and so i thought i'd best read up on them.

How wounded was i when i read they like cool water and my tank's tropical!? :-(

I really want one or two of these but you can't keep anthing much with them i suppose as they like it too cool for the tropics.

Great fish, naff environment :X

yeh but to be honest you dont need anything else with them, they are really entertaining on their own. I bought a new tank especially for it, i have a tropical tank too. p.s u shouldnt keep fish with them anyway cos it will eat them or fish will eat its feathery gills

I own 2 Albino African Clawed Frogs and I must say these creatures are particularly interesting. They seem to share the same sort of characteristics.

I would suggest trying to get a plant to blanket the surface of the water. When I did that with my tank the ACF's became a lot more lively and lost a lot of their "fear" (I guess in their natural environment they see the surface as a dangerous and vulnerable place) and they became a lot more active, responsive and calm.

Great animal though, whats their estimated lifespan in captivity?

can i try it on liver that you would get from the butchers? this seems a lot easier to get hold of than beef heart. Also i dont see how people feed these creatures by hand, mine wont come near me and i dont think it will eat food off the surface either

oooh. Have u got any pictures of the eggs? How many are there?

So ive just bought a small piece of liver from the butchers, it cost me 5p, i was amazed, its a shame i dont like it at that price.

I cut it into thin strips and got about 30 - 40 portions out of it. i just dangled one in front of Diablos face and she gulped it up. Woohoo. So should i just feed her 1 strip every other day? (strip about 0.5cm by 3cm). I dont want to feed her just liver, i know she will take bloodworm but why not pellets. I have bought something called carnivore sticks which is a fish meat pellet but she just doesnt seem interested.

Hr bowel movements are fine so she must be digesting anyway. She did a bigg poop this morning.

it realy depend how old she is if she is under about maybe 9 months or so i would say feed every day if she is older feed every second day

i will try and get a pic but they are realy small

damn i dint ask how old she was, although i've a pretty good feeling the lfs wouldnt have known anyway. She is about 4.5 inches long

go to www.axolotl.org they have a picture of 1 der on der front page i think that wer it is it dont happen very often thou most will die before forming they need to be i harsh conditions to change or injected with chemicals

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back