Axolotl Set-up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seidge

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI

We are thinking about getting an axolotl. This amphibian has optimum temperature of 14-18 degrees celcius. So i am definatey not getting a heater since my room temp peaks at 21 degrees. Just wanted to know if this is a dangerous temparature for it.

Also i already have a tropical aquarium. Can i use the filter medium to cycle the new tank for the axolotl? If i can do i have to put the axolotl in straight away. Will the absense of life in the new tank make the bacteria crash if i decide to let it sit their for a week with the filter on?

Help!

21 shouldnt pose a problem.. just as long as it gets no higher.
yes you can use old filter media as the bacteria is the same but be careful about if you have had any signs of illness in your fish: dont want fish pathogens getting near your axolotl espc after it suffers the stress of a new home. he/she doesnt have to go in immediately after the filter is added but the bacteria will die without food: add liquid ammonia each day to keep it alive n healthy then do a big water change just before you add your axoltl.

Ok so ive bought the tank filled it with decholrinated water and also some siphoned off the other tank and i am using the filter from the other tank. Can i buy my axolotl tommorow. Is this cloning like an instant cycle?

Even though this tank is bigger there is the same ammount of water as in smaller tank since it is only semi aquatic, i have some land also.

How big is the tank before you start, Axotols infact grow above 1ft+, and need atleast a 4ft tank, I know it's a downer but I saw these amphibians in the LFS today and I thought they were awesome, just a shame I don't have enough room for one.

Neal

Neal no offence but u talk #### they should be fine in that tank they dont neeed 4ft i have 2 in like 30 ltrs

and yes they are very hardy
good on ya for getting axolotls i think u will find they are very amusing

regardless of its minimum requirements, that animal seems like it would look better in a larger tank than 50 liters, let alone having two in it. I found one site saying that you could fit three, but i don't know, just that one looks cramped. :/

but that's just me and it's coming from an aesthetic point of view. i don't know anything about the critters, i didn't even know what they were called before today, although i'd seen pictures of them before...

also, as a side note, but i don't think seidge ever said what size the tank is, so how can you know if it's appropriate?

Dont be giving me ####
they dont move around alot so they dont need much space

but wen they do move they are realy fast

u should have a look here

Ok now cool down, most axolotls only grow to around 8" so not quite as big as 1 ft. My tank is 30 x 12 x 12, i got my axolotl today and he looks just fine in there, very happy in fact.

Clay ropper - what do u feed yours and how?

I have heard they suck in substrate so i given mine its first feed on frozen bloodworms. I put them in a pint glass and layed it down in the tank so it had a clear feeding ground. Is this the right thing to do. What do u mostly feed yours on? People are telling me garden worms but i dont have a garden lol, also raw beef or liver, is this ok? What about if i bought it prawns from shop, would they contain harmful chemicals?

Ok first what substrate do u have if its gravel get ride of it it has to be sand or river stones because axolotls when eating they suck der food in and if u have small gravel they will suck up the gravel
i feed mine beef heart and axolotl pellets trout pellets work to blood worms are good adult brine shrim for bigger axolotls adn u can feed daphnia pritty anything meat that they will fit in der mouths
they will eat fish but its best not to feed them fish because fish can have parasites

i got gravel but i have covered it with slate in most parts and i think i am gunna try and contain feeding to one area to reduce indegestion of substrate, would love to post a piccy but i dont know how.

I have just noticed something that might be poo, wow if it is it sure does do big poops. i think gunna have to clean more often than expected.

p.s where the hell do i get beef heart from? and how do you keep it, in the freezer?

EDIT: So i just went to the store and asked for trout or salmon pellets, i hope she gave the right ones cos as i left the shop i thought those things look like what we used to feed to trout on the trout farm near us. hmm they smell like dog food so its definately some sort of meat product. they are brown. I will try them tommorow anyway, i can always fall back on frozen bloodworm cos i know he eats them, or she, dunno.
I saw meal worms at the store, can i feed these or are the shells too hard to chomp on?

Also i notice your tank is fully aquatic, mine is only semi, i built a landbank on one side. You reckon he/she will ever use it, i didnt know if they ever come out of the water or not

They might come out of the water a bit im realy not sure
and to find out if it is male or female look just behind mthe back legs der should be a small lump or no lump for females and 2 big lumps if its a male but it depends on its age

axolotls are fully aquatic, they don't use land as they stay in their larval stage (as you see them now) they can breed etc, and spend their whole life in water. They can be forced to change to their "adult" stage - where they can go on land, but this is not good for them, and they don't live for long afterwards. the land is not any use to your axolotl and you might find it easier to keep clean without it (they are notoriously mucky - going to the loo alot and making an awful mess with their food), You really need to get rid of the gravel as it can cause numerous problems.

Personally I'd rethink you tank a bit, sand substrate and no land (giving the axolotl more space).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back