Avoiding And Treating New Tank Syndrome

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
yes, I saw that it is uncycled. That's an unfortunate circumstance. Your friend needs to follow the fish-in cycle method (see my sig for the link).

Rules for fish-in cycle are pretty simple:

1) small number of fish - too late for that.
2) keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite levels
3) water change to control high ammonia or nitrite levels
4) feed SMALL amounts of food, only feed every other day (maybe even every third day) - less food = less waste = less ammonia
5) gravel vac every water change to remove detritus
6) DON'T ADD CHEMICALS - these will be a short-term gain - long term loss. JUST DON'T DO IT. (All of the products you are mentioning will in fact lock away the ammonia for a while. BUT, they will not continue to do so - they have a certain amount of capacity, beyond that things can get bad. They can lead the uninitiated into a false sense of security and then it might be too late when the ammonia spikes. Second, these products will starve the bacteria that you want to cultivate in your filter. Not a good thing there either.)

Yes, Prime is a dechlorinating product. You need to have plenty of this product (or any other dechlorinating product) ready for all the massive water changes that are going to be needed to see this cycle through to the end. Ultimately, the only way to successfully complete a fish-in cycle is patience and a lot of water changes. Massive ones at times - to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels as close to zero as possible. Anytime either rises to 0.25ppm, you need to do a change big enough to drop it. Remove as much water as possible - down to the point that the fish can just swim upright - and add temp matched, dechlorinated water to refill. The bigger the change, the more effective it will be at keeping the levels down.

yes, I saw that it is uncycled. That's an unfortunate circumstance. Your friend needs to follow the fish-in cycle method (see my sig for the link).

Rules for fish-in cycle are pretty simple:

1) small number of fish - too late for that.
2) keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite levels
3) water change to control high ammonia or nitrite levels
4) feed SMALL amounts of food, only feed every other day (maybe even every third day) - less food = less waste = less ammonia
5) gravel vac every water change to remove detritus
6) DON'T ADD CHEMICALS - these will be a short-term gain - long term loss. JUST DON'T DO IT. (All of the products you are mentioning will in fact lock away the ammonia for a while. BUT, they will not continue to do so - they have a certain amount of capacity, beyond that things can get bad. They can lead the uninitiated into a false sense of security and then it might be too late when the ammonia spikes. Second, these products will starve the bacteria that you want to cultivate in your filter. Not a good thing there either.)

Yes, Prime is a dechlorinating product. You need to have plenty of this product (or any other dechlorinating product) ready for all the massive water changes that are going to be needed to see this cycle through to the end. Ultimately, the only way to successfully complete a fish-in cycle is patience and a lot of water changes. Massive ones at times - to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels as close to zero as possible. Anytime either rises to 0.25ppm, you need to do a change big enough to drop it. Remove as much water as possible - down to the point that the fish can just swim upright - and add temp matched, dechlorinated water to refill. The bigger the change, the more effective it will be at keeping the levels down.
thanks, i have a load of dechlorinator here and i'm sure he does too. i was thinking the same as you have said. although it is good to get the ammonia down with the products, the friendly bacteria need it to grow.

can i just ask though. if water changes reduce the level of ammonia and aqua detox pads do too(this absorbs the ammonia into the pad itself and needs to be drained of ammonia every 2 weeks). what is the difference. both reduce the concentration x

One reduces the amount, the other removes it all from the water. The bacteria need it at TRACE levels to survive and grow. The water changes help to keep it at that level, and you only do a water change when the level rises above the trace level. The water change puts it back at trace levels, where the bacteria want/need it. As the bacteria colony grows, the time between water changes will increase, and when you can finally go a full week without a "needed" water change based on the parameters, the filter is cycled. The chemical products will lock away ALL the ammonia and starve the bacteria. But, once they are "full" all the ammonia will build up rapidly and start to harm your fish. Ultimately, the biggest danger is that the fishkeeper may not keep a close watch on the level and won't recognize a problem right away - exacerbating the issue. Does that explain the difference?

WOW I have not read this much in years. This fish stuff is like work but allot funner - Yes I said funner :look: .

I seem to have upset a few members due to my folks ending up doing a fish-in cycle. I understand that alot of members on here try to help beginners like us but if they don't agree to you doing something they don't like then there not prepared to offer anymore help. I think it's quite sad as there's alot of members on here full of information who can help out regardless of you choosing a fishless/fish-in cycle.

As iv learn't so far, never listen to a pet store/shop as they often give wrongful information. Although our last aquatic visit was to a company well established for over 40 years with alot of experience. Iv been going to them for years for my reptiles and they have never fobbed me off. I think there's no 100% right or wrong, alot of the time it's because such member's have done things different ways so don't agree. After skim reading this thread iv noticed were not the only one's to do a fish-in cycle and it's a matter of trial and error.

We started off doing the fishless cycle until the point where my folks got annoyed that they have just spend over £200 on a setup to have to wait around 8 weeks before adding fish. Every single place we have gone to has told us different things and iv used these forums to confirm some of the information we got told. There's many tropical fish sites, google and the wiki that offer's useful information to which i find a fish-in cycle ok to do as long as it's done correctly and regular water changes are made.

Before i joined this site the whole tropical fish hobby was completely new to us, I joined to be able to gain information which i pass onto my folks, if they choose not to listen then that's fine but i will never stop offering my support or useful information. Im sorry for rambling on but im just venting and a little upset about the whole thing. Why run a forum if everything has to be done a certain way in order to gain help from members? Everyone makes mistakes and a community like this should be there to help when people make mistakes or does things a wrong way.

If you have done a fish-in cycle and wish to offer your help, please add me as a friend on here so i know whose prepared to help and who isn't.

Rant over, thank you for reading and i look forward to speaking to some of the members on here soon

I think it's time for me to don my permed liverpool-wig and say 'cam down, calm down'! :lol:

There are two main things that get people irrationally riled on this forum; fish-in cycles and overstocking. You happened to catch the wrath of the anti fish-in brigade, just think yourself lucky that you had no stock initially or it could have been a double whammy. Don't take it to heart, you'll get help whatever you do as you'll see in my response in your thread.

If you find any responses to posts to be OTT or 'flaming' then please use the report button so that the Mod team can take a look and review.

Thanks Prime, I understand that alot of member's hate the fish-in cycle and if it was my tank i wouldn't have gone down that route but what's done is done.

Thanks Zoddy, it wasn't really a flame i just find it upsetting that members walk away when other member's have a fish-in cycle going just because they don't like the idea. I agree myself that it's a less humane way of cycling a tank but not everyone in life is patient and learn the hard way.

Thanks Zoddy, it wasn't really a flame i just find it upsetting that members walk away when other member's have a fish-in cycle going just because they don't like the idea.

When I first joined this forum I was in a fish-in cycle and clueless about the whole 'cycling' process. The advice given to me and the length and depth of the responses were the main reason I stayed. I'm sorry to hear that you've not been given the same sort of response but I do see that generally the members here are very patient and go out of their way to help new hobbyists who find themselves in this extremely common situation.

I hope this has not put you off too much, because as you yourself say "there's alot of members on here full of information who can help out"

I will definately be staying Zoddy and hopefully i will be able to help other member's out. Life is a huge learning curve for us all and experience is gained from trial and error, or more experienced members. We all have to start somewhere and everyone makes mistakes, it's wether you learn from the mistakes you make that matters.

Im sure there will be alot more information needed when the tank progresses so i will have many questions. Thanks again for the support, it's really appreciated

3. Some filter companies recommend you change the filter media every month (Well they would say that, wouldn't they??? ). Not only is this an expensive waste of time quite often (filter sponges usually just need a rinse in some old tank water), you could be removing the beneficial bacteria. If you want to replace a filter insert, leave the sponge or floss in the tank for a week or so beforehand.

Does this mean you really don't need to change the filter in a Biorb each month? The Biorb filter is a plastic holder with a sponge and some sort of granules underneath and they claim it impregnated with chemicals. You can buy just the granules on ebay (the sellers claim its the same).

So should I:
1, replace the lot monthly
2, just the granules with aftermarket ones
3, replace nothing and just rinse out the filter with tank water monthly during the part water change(and I guess dispose of the granules)

You are completely right kudos1uk. There is no need to ever change the media in any filter unless it has failed physically. Instead our best advice is to clean the old media in old tank water, the kind you have in your water change bucket when doing a routine water change, then return that media to your filter.

You are completely right kudos1uk. There is no need to ever change the media in any filter unless it has failed physically. Instead our best advice is to clean the old media in old tank water, the kind you have in your water change bucket when doing a routine water change, then return that media to your filter.

Wow I'm learning so much......

I Googled the granules, the white granules are zeolite, which absorbs ammonia; the black granules are carbon which absorbs organic compounds.

I can see why you say they are not needed as a mature tank will take care of the ammonia and the sponge & regular maintenance will take care of the organic.

Hi!

I've just bought my second aquarium after a good few years out of the game! Set it up yesterday with a view to getting some fish hopefully in the next fortnight once it's established. My aquarium however didn't come with a heater so I've bought one online which will be delivered late next week most probably (super saver delivery ;)). Can my tank cycle without it or will I have to wait til I get it?

Sorry if this isn't the best place for this post!

Any help is much appreciated!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back